Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need a material to use in ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

howddi

Specifier/Regulator
Dec 6, 2001
US
I have designed and will produce a part which is specific to the display industry for watches. I need a material for what we call a watchcuff. You see them in all retail stores where watches are sold. The watches are placed on the cuff to be displayed standing vertically in the showcases. The material must have stiffness or spring to it to allow watch size variation in the bands, be clear or at least frosty translucent.
We tried ABS, not so much for its spring, though it has some, but because it was flexible enough to allow the cuff to be opened up to fit the large men's watch sizes or squeezed to fit the small ladies size watches. ABS was not so good as it does give off a slight smell which becomes noticeable in a closed, warm showcase. Also, not clear.
I have produce many of these cuffs using clear polycarbonate as the material. Polycarbonate has a few problems as well. Though it is tough and flexible it seems to get briitle over time. It also discolored or was effected by the warm temperatures in the showcase or the bright halogen lighting. Eventually the polycarbonate cuff snaps and breaks.
I have thought about acetal, polycarbonate/abs alloy, cellulose acetate, Pet, PetG as canidates, but would like to know which has the charactoristics I am looking for without doing a lot of testing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have given enough information that leads me to recommend and Acrylic DR or PET
would be your best canidates without going into a more expensive material such as TPX. a clear material used for laboratory wear, High Temp, Chemical and UV resistant.

See ou r web site:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back