Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need a reference for watts/sf usage for different business types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron247

Structural
Jan 18, 2019
US
Does anyone have a good source of estimated energy usage in watts/sf for different types of buildings? The most common ones we attempt to estimate are:
[ul]
[li]medical office buildings[/li]
[li]1-story Office buildings[/li]
[li]multi-story office buildings[/li]
[li]Apartments (generally multi-story)[/li]
[li]Mixed use high-rise such as lower level commercial and upper-level residential[/li]
[li]Warehouses[/li]
[/ul]

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Canadian electrical code specifies the Watts per square foot to be used for demand calculations for different occupancies.
Is there anything like that in the demand chapter of the NEC?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I have not looked in either NEC or ASHRAE yet. I was not sure where to look. I am not doing any design, just estimating ballpark possible demand as compared to what is supplied on an older existing building.

Dear Mr. Ron247 (Structural)(OP)30 Oct 21 23:55
"..Does anyone have a good source of estimated energy usage in watts/sf for different types of buildings? The most common ones we attempt to estimate are: medical office buildings, 1-story Office buildings..."
1. @IRstuff (Aerospace)
"...Isn't that something that's in one of the ASHRAE codes?".
ASHRAE is mainly concern the (tonnage/wattage) of the [air-conditioning/heating loading].
2. @ waross (Electrical)
"...Is there anything like that in the demand chapter of the NEC? "
Yes, there are information including data in NEC publication. See Article 220 ---Branch-circuit, feeder and service calculations A. 220-3, -4; B. Feeders and services etc...
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back