Need a watery (low viscosity), clear epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

provenan

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2023
US
Capture_q9dnhg.png

I'm looking to fill the valve shown through one of its inlet ports (ID = 1.1mm) so that the internal components will be "frozen" in place with a clear epoxy that I can examine post-teardown. I've tried standard cyanoacrylate, but it's much too viscous to wick in. I also can't force it in with pressure because I don't want to displace anything from its natural position. It feels like I almost need something close to the consistency of water dispensed from a syringe. Any suggestions/similar applications y'all have come across?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most epoxy hardeners are not very clear. I would suggest West System 105 resin with 207 hardener. It is viscous but it has a slow cure so it has time to flow and conform. You can also heat your enclosure to reduce the viscosity of the epoxy. I don't recommend thinners as they can make the epoxy cloudy.

You can use pressure to inject the resin as your 1.1mm orifice is what is causing the pressure. Through the orifice there will be a pressure drop. Provided your enclosure is vented there will be no pressure internally.

How clean are the innards when you freeze them?

Wicking Loctite 290 is pretty creepy and medium strength . gaps over .006" with an activator.

It does a REAL good job locking stuff like throttle adjustment screws etc.

Sika Pro select Crack Fix ! Its a very low vis concrete crack filler. Hardens moderately quickly and has an amber hue when cured. Might be available at your nearest home center.

Mix a little glycerine into two part epoxy. It acts as a plasticizer which makes the adhesive more flexible, and as an internal release agent to prevent sticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back