Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need adjustable handle mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandytable

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2001
US
I need a way to adjust a handle for different heights of operators. It needs to lock in well once adjusted. This is on a machine that is pushed. I am using a metal loop style handle (kind of like a lawn mower handle). A set of "toothed" faces would work. I have seen the "toothed" face approach work on the handle of a fold up pull style golf cart, where the teeth are cut on 45's and mesh when forced together, to prevent slippage. What is this "toothed" connector called? (I could have them machined, but looking for something off the shelf). Any other ideas for a locking adjustable handle? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking for an off-the-shelf assembly or "kit" of some sort?

Does the item have a flat side that the handle mount to?

The "ratchet" mechanism that comes to mind is a rack gear (as in "rack and pinion".

Do a web search for handles, or whatever.

Please let us all know how this works out for you! and don't forget faq731-376

Look at the various manufacturers of extruded aluminum enclosure and machine base stock. They have all sorts of stuff like that.

The only maker I can recall at the moment is Bosch, but there are many others.

Maybe you can use a hand retractable spring plunger to adjust the handle length. One half of the handle would have a series of drilled. The other half of the handle would have the spring plunger.

I did a Google on "adjustable height handle bar” and got a bunch of hits.

Bicycle handle bar, square tube in square tube with clamp or pin, adjustable shelving type runners and tabs, pipe clamp type anvil lock or hire people of same height.

Barry1961

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back