Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice from civil and structural PEs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskit4iam

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2001
US
I don't have a PE. In hindsight not getting one was a mistake but I really never thought I'd be anywhere else but in a corporate design world. I'm an ME. For the last 20 years I've been in management and specialized in equipment design, manufacturing and service.

I'm considering purchasing an engineering firm that specializes in small, mostly residential, structural and civil projects. There are three PEs and two young engineers that successfully passed the FE exam.

For a few years current owner would continue in the business on the technical side. The plan is for him to hang around long enough for me to get a PE, but after looking at an FE exam I figure it's 50/50 I can resurrect enough engineering brain cells to pass it and the PE exam. We both think the business would benefit from someone concentrating on management as his time is consumed with doing engineering.

Some other factors are:

My daughter is a year away from her degree in Civil and will definately get her PE and will probably eventually take over the firm.

I've managed PEs and other engineers with greater technical credentials than I have. My style is to work with the team to nail down the steps in the process and then manage by making sure the process is followed.

I will expand the scope of the firm into mechanical design using my knowledge and industry contacts.

So, my questions are:

"How would you react to this situation if you were one of the engineers on staff at the firm?"

"How do you think your customers would react in a similar situation?"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, to answer your question. I dont think I would be too concerned if the owner of the company or my "manager" was not a PE but I would want my supervisor to be one. I think I would lose some respect for him if he wasnt. I wouldnt intentionally act differently but I might subconsciously. Someone else might intentionally cause problems. Why dont they have a spellchecker on this thing. We are engineers!

Iskit4iam,

To answer your question:

I would have no problem if you were the owner of the firm that I worked for and you were not a PE, as long as you treated me right. I would suggest that you make yourself aware of the various state laws that apply to engineering. I've already run into non-PEs who didn't know the law and were in charge of projects. They violated state law without knowing it. I lost respect for them when they did this. Make sure that you don't do the same.

I left two consulting firms where the people promoted to "boss" were non-PE's, I never looked back. But that is not to say that things are not a changing. It seems all the trend today not to call an engineering firm and engineering firm. After all I was told, there are others that do engineering???? Left that firm too....

I am in a fairly respnsible position now with a firm, and there are non-PE's in the chain of command, it is no problem when it is done right.

BJC:

Big multi-nationals can get away with having officers in states where PE's are required, usually in the regional offices. That is one of the biggest areas for advancement in consulting, but it usually means a relocation.

jjeng2:

I don't know that I have any more or less respect fo non-PE's in management roles, but there always is the concern that they just don't know what they don't know and could override your decisions setting a path for doom.....

BobPE

BJC, I honestly don't know how the big firms are organized in NY to perform the type of work that your former employer performed here. I personally have never worked for one of these large mutli-national corporations, and I believe that there are several factors to consider to determine if the corporation is in fact following the stipulated legal requirements of the jurisdiction in which they do business. Based on your description it sounds as though your former employer may have been in violation of New York State law.

To answer your question - similar to JAE's post - I once worked for a medium-sized multi-disciplined A/E firm. The owners were 2 ME's.
Due to the "culture" of the firm, which was spoiled by very "political" inter-department animosity, it was a very negative work experience.

Bob - don't you just have to manage the manager in that case? I've been overridden far more often by a manager who is an engineer, than one who is not (my current situation - in fact they are MORE cautious than I am).

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Given a choice between an experienced previously "exempt" unlicensed engineer, and a PE with no damn clue, I pick the unlicensed one.

What the boss actually comprehends is a lot more important than the boss's paper credentials.

Hg

The first place I left, the manager was a cartographer by degree, the second job, the manager was a psychcologist by degree.....It is tough to manage those that are in positions of responsibility with regard to engineering, and who really have no clue by degree.

So you see HgTX, when you say exempt unlicensed engineers, you end up with a wide variety of wannabe types that exploit the loopholes in the system to fill spots that should be filled by real engineer types, exempt or not. Those paper credentials say a lot more about an individual than what ones perceived opinion may with regard to engineering. Not that is not to say that a pschyologist may not be able to size roof trusses, but when the crap hits the fan, who would you want to back you up in court, the psychologist, or that clueless structural engineer with a PE?

I am harsh with respect to credentials, only because I think the public has a better chance for access to a real engineer when they seek engineering services, not a cartographer or pschylogist pretending to be an engineer.

BobPE

Read for comprehension. How do you get from "experienced previously 'exempt' unlicensed engineer" to psychologist??

I'm not talking about psychologists. I'm talking about the "or not" of your "real engineer types, exempt or not". Specifically, I'm talking about Iskit4iam the ME. He asked about the effect his lack of PE might have on any engineers working for him.

Unless in your mind he's the same as a psychologist.

Hg

This is a case where a PE definitely isn't worth it.
Its not worth your time to get it because it usually does no good. All you get is headaches.

Since you are a Mechanical engineer with a strong Mechanical Engineering background, I would sugest that you try the Agricultural Engineering PE exam if you are also wanting to be able to sign off on the Civil Projects. This exam covers Mechanical and HVAC as well as Civil Engineering projects along with some stuff on biological materials. You would have one test to take and be licesned to sign off on site designs, waste water designs, sewer lagoons, pond, water structures, and anything mechanical.

Your strong Mechanical background with a couple of Mechanical Design handbooks will get you 1/3 of the test. That will leave worrying less about the areas you aren't familiar with.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back