Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need advice on grading a drive way

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepaw

Materials
Oct 9, 2003
US
I need to make a drive way down a hill and want advice on how to slope it, ditch it, or whatever to take the run off away from the drive in order to save the gravel.

Our soil is mostly sand and buries everything eventually. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would like to prefice this by saying that I am not a professional of driveway design, so there are others that might have better ideas...

You do not say if you have freezing or snowy weather where you are. If so, I highly recommend spending the extra money and blacktop or pave it (blacktop melts off fast), at least on the hilly part.

If not, then a good base with 4" or larger breaker run covered by 1.5" breaker run and topped with 3/4" with fines will build up to a nice solid driveway that will hold together, but drain. Crown it slightly in the middle so that the water runs away immediately, and does not gather steam working it's way down the hill. When you do the grading of the lawn up to it, silt fence it immediately until the lawn has a chance to establish itself.

Rolling between the layers, or time while driving over it, will help settle things in and help hold it together as well.

See if there are any others out there who have more to add or think I am full of it before you proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back