Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need advice on Mistakes 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMaxter

Electrical
Sep 10, 2008
US
Sorry to bug you guys again, but what kind of mistakes are 'forgivable' for engineer a year and half out of college?

Im asking because I keep getting caught up in drafting mistakes. For instance, the client has a special border they like to use on their drawings, and I didn’t use it. I used another of their borders (looks exactly the same, only difference is the font isn’t bold.)

This drawing has been checked, and double checked, and triple checked, and the checker didn’t catch it. I’ve been thinking about this since yesterday when the client called, but I know im goanna get it Tuesday when the boss comes back from his business trip out of country.

I had no idea the other border existed (im not part of drafting, but they have me draft anyways), so I took it from a previous issued drawing and figured it had to be right. Are mistakes like these normal for a guy out of college, or should I take this as a sign?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm with "tygerdawg" on this one. Here I am worried about a column getting mislabeled and causing a real problem. Don't see too many collapses from the wrong border on a drawing.

Now spelling the client's name wrong is another story...

Really?.... I mean really?

My biggest mistake was about 100x that for sure. That might cost the company 2hrs if you suck at changing borders so maybe $150. I suppose its a matter of scale since if the job was only $500 it might be percentage wise a big mistake. I wouldn't sweat it - I'd try and prevent it in the future but if someone gave me more than a little talking to I'd quit. My biggest mistake was probably a $20,000 error on a $2,000,000 project- ordering the wrong amount of materials. I've made bigger mistakes on reno's at home then a border on a drawing.

I've been trying to deal with my frustrations of AutoCAD and complying with client's requests since I started working about a year and a half ago as well. I'm not a drafter but I do all the drafting for my projects.

I've gone so far as to plot out "full sized" drawings for an architect (she actually didn't use standard full size drawings so I had to cut each sheet individually) ran them over to her office to get them in by the noon deadline. She was so happy I got them in because the client was only seconds behind me coming in the door way. We talked for a bit. As I was leaving the office she started yelling at me about how I used the wrong border in front of the clients. I ran back to the office, changed the border, printed the new sheets, cut the new sheets, and ran them back to her. It seemed like a ridiculous thing to get upset about. I hadn't even put the borders in, the drafter did so it didn't even cross my mind. All I could say was "sorry, my mistake, won't happen again."

I guess the only thing I learned from this was when dealing with clients with their own drafting standards I always have as many people glance it over that might be able to catch something like that before I send it out. Are these the right borders? Fonts? Even if theres no question in my mind, its always what you don't know that'll end up getting you in the end. If after all that, a mistake still goes out, make a mental note and move on. Since I'm not a "drafter" I don't get upset about it but I still make every effort to make sure its done right. I told my boss what happened with the architect and he just laughed, "ya, shes crazy." If your boss puts the blame on you I'd start asking you how much do you really want that job?

The only mistake that is not forgivable is the one that happens again. You made a mistake, you learned, you move on.

My last manager had a saying that I have really taken to heart. If your not making mistakes it means you are not trying. If you make the same mistake twice it means you are really not trying.

I spent over $80K on some equipment to design, build, and install. In the end it just wasn't working. I had a few sleepless nights over that one but he took me aside and said it's fine. You tried something that didn't work. Go back to the drawing board and try something different. Learn from what happened and see what you come up with.

I will point out that what happened in that case is very different from making a mistake by not being diligent, but the result is still the same. It cost the company money.

In the end I learned something, just like you did, and I won't make the same mistakes again. That's the real point of this after all. Keep learning and keep moving forward.

I will tell you from an employer point of view.

If a worker tells me right up front they made a mistake (even one that costs many thousands of dollars) I let it go and never bring it up again. You can tell if someone cares and is sorry for a mistake. If they try to hide a mistake (even one of a few dollars) I let him/her go immediately.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back