Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice - Too late to get a degree? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0mills

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2008
Hello All!

I've been a lurker on this site for quite a while now, and have finally decided to register so that I can help other people out where I can, and hopefully receive some help myself.

I need some advice from you guys, about what you think of my current situation, and what I should do.

Almost a year ago, I went to work for my current employer. I originally was just doing contract work for them, and then they offered me a full time position. My official start date was last June.

I started out doing CAD work. I'm a CSWA, and next month, I'm going to try for my CSWP.

However, while I use SolidWorks here every day of the week, I do MUCH more than just CAD work. I'm the only person in the company that does this type of work, so I am the one that everyone calls upon for any kind of Engineering work.

This is a pretty small company, but it has been growing exponentially over the past few years. We're now at over 40 million a year, as opposed to 5 years ago, where it was barely 1 million.

Anyway, I've purchased a home about 45 seconds from the office, and I'm really happy with my current situation, however, I'm concerned about my future.

I don't think that I will be leaving this company any time soon. I'm good friends with the owner and his wife, and I hear quite often things like "Would you like an assistant? I know you're always really busy, and I don't know how we ever got by without you in the past."

Things like that, which are really nice, so that makes me feel like my job is very secure.

I'm doing a LOT of Engineering and Design, and have made this company a LOT of money. The largest retail chain in the world has bought many of the things that I've designed, and our company has got patented. The owner of the company even bought me a Z Corp 450 3D Printer to use for prototypes (this is a very small town, ~1500 people, and there is no where to outsource that kind of stuff). If they got rid of me, there would simply be no one to run it. They even told me about 6 months ago to spec out a PC and they would have it built. I wound up with a quad core, 4 gig monster with 10k drives and dual monitors.

Everything is working out really well, except, that I've never been to College...

That really worries me, because I really like doing what I do here. I take on projects from beginning to end, from meeting with the customer, to design, to manufacture, and then back to the customer.

If I ever leave this company for any reason, I know I will never be able to land a job like this with anyone else.

So, I've been thinking about getting my degree, but I'm almost 23 now, and going to College full time during the day isn't really an option for me.

I've already typed a novel.... So I will stop for now, and see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

t0mills,

As many in this forum, go for the degree! Even as you go thru your math and physics in ME (if that is the degree you are going after), you will almost start to see and understand the invisible forces in your design. Take for example of your bracket. If it is a static case, you can start to see and calculate the moments and forces and then the stresses and strain on your bracket. A whole world will open up to you, if you practice the theories and calculations that were taught to you.

Be careful with going from a two year to a four year college. The two year college will only cover the math, physics, chem., and all of the humanities. Then when you go to the four year college, you will almost start as a freshman. This is because engineering (in the four year college) classes start in the last year of the freshman term and since you have to take them in a particular order, you will have to go thru another four years to get your bachelors. So that is 6 years. However, the advantage of going to the two year and then the four year is that it is cheaper than taking everything at one four year.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Thank you all. Your advice means a lot to me, and I do feel better about my situation. I feel like I at least have a plan for the future. I'm going to call tomorrow and get a list of classes available, and will hopefully be able to start something next semester.

Remember how I said I was constantly busy? Well, from the time I started this thread, til right now, I've gotten 3 more very large projects. One of them entails designing a complete Kiosk from the ground up. Like I said, I never know what I'll be doing next... But I know it will be a challenge.

They are right it is never too late to go back to college
I will be graduating with my MEch Eng degree at the young age of 36

Though it does sound like you have done great for yourself already

t0mills,

Your story is in parts similar to that of my son. He is now in his 3rd year of engineering degree. I had sent him last year to UAE and UK to a reputed engineering company for training. He excelled in his work and impressed his superiors.

He had been offered all kinds of allurements to stay back,as the company was short of good technicians. This was sort of a dream run for him.

My advise to him was to complete his degree and then decide the course of his career. He now excels in his academics and is eager to complete his course and join the company. Whenever an opportunity arises in between semesters or there is a long holiday he travels to UAE and spends time.

My advice to you would be to go ahead and complete your degree course without any regrets.

Save water Drink Beer

I think you should find a way to buy into this company, and acquire part ownership. If they really can't get by without you, they should show it.

You should also get the degree part time, if you can.

When you're 43 like me, you'll realize how funny "I'm already 23" sounds...

Best of luck.

tg

t0mills

Check with the 4 yr Uni first to make sure the courses from the 2 yr are transferable. They might even transfer some of the early math, chem & physics courses (maybe not - ask).

Rerig

You are all giving some very good advice! Thanks!

I will keep you updated as I find out more about the classes offered. It's spring break right now, so I will check with them next week.

So far, here are my 4 year College choices:

University of Arkansas -
John Brown University -

I have heard good about both, but do any of you guys have experience with either?

Thanks,

Make sure, if you take community college physics, that it is calculus-based, or else no 4-year college engineering program will accept it. (Better yet, follow advice already given and send the course descriptions for all your classes to the 4-year and ask them which would be acceptable.)

I went back to engineering school after doing something else for a while. I had already taken care of physics, chemistry, calculus, statics, and all the humanities/social science requirements. Except for statics, most of that could be done at a 2-year college. It took me 5 semesters full-time to finish the engineering program. If I hadn't had statics already, it might have taken me 6 because of the sequence that others mentioned, but maybe not; I think a lot of the classes I took could still have been shifted backwards by a semester.

So going part-time, you might be able to do it in 5 or 6 years, which would still have you your degree by the time you're 30. Some schools have a residency requirement, though, and may require you to spend a semester or two full-time.

Don't worry at all about being older than the other students. It's an advantage.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

It is never too late. I know a gentleman who went back after age 50; he had a college engineering diploma(in Canada that is not a university level engineering degree) and had worked in the engineering field all his life ... then decided to get his engineering degree at university.. Not only that, but did this after he had suddenly lost over 90% of his hearing.
Now he is running his own consulting company and doing great.

I would lean heavily towards the U of A for an engineering degree (having limited familiarity w/ JBU). I would expect the U of A to be cheaper, have better name recognition, offer more work and research opportunities, and have a better/broader course offering than JBU.

You might want to consider distance education options from the U of A to satisfy some requirements if working part time. Many of their courses are available online (realtime or previously recorded). This is primarily available for senior/graduate electives and for classes having sections in Fort Smith.

That said, JBU seems to be well regarded and the decision depends greatly on your specific situation.

I knew a number of people in my graduating class who were over thirty when they finished. The ones I have kept in touch with have no regrets and are doing well for themselves now.

It sounds like you are capable of doing your job without the degree, so do you really need one?

Secondly, you may find that if things continue to grow then you will be managing a few people and then that will become your job rather than engineering. In that case the engineering degree would not necessarily be appropriate. You should talk to your superiors about their plans for you.

Management always pays better than engineering.

I am 38 and in the same boat, only I am in The 3D Cad\Cam arena. I develope and process very difficult 5-axis Areospace parts with Unigraphics NX5 for a shop with 40 machines. I taught myself and have been able to achieve anything that has been thrown at me, however if for what ever reason this company folds, I would have a hard time moving into a similar postion with a larger company because I only have a 2 year degree. I know for a fact that our customers Engineers have a minimum requirment of a 4 year degree to even be considered. 2 kids, putting in 60-70 hrs a week makes it hard to even consider going back to school. So I am rolling the dice and taking the work while I can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back