Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need concrete storage pond design references

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjans

Structural
Apr 22, 2003
CA
Client has requested concrete storage ponds to retain contaminated storm water at an industrial site in the far north. The ponds are small (300m^3). I need a design reference. The PCA and CPCA websites did not have references listed in their online libraries. Is that because concrete is not used for this application?

Any comments will be helpful. Particularly canadian ones.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cjans,

You did not state if this is going to be in or above ground pond.

PCA used to publish a rectangular and round concrete tank design guides. I suggest that you get a hold of one to help you in the design. If it is in ground, then it can be designed as a simple retaining wall. The worst case is when the pond is empty. If it is above ground, the analogy of retaining all applies with the worst case is when it is full with fluids. Of course one must not forget other loads as they apply such as wind and seismic loads as applicable.

I would also consider some form of interior coating or a liner system for the pond. There are products out there that are spray on, or mopped on as well. These products have varying chemical resistance. Many of them are elastomeric which make them bridge hairline cracks as they develop in the concrete.

One such company that I have used in the past is FUTURA. Here is a link to their web site:
Regards,

Lutfi

I have designed several in ground storage tanks which are common in mining operations such as smelters and in refineries. Try ATLAS Chemical Company for the membrane. The "pool" should have a containment barrier membrane sandwiched inbetween two layers of concrete. Spec the concrete for the chemicals used and the ground conditions. Make sure you have plenty of sacrifical concrete for the liner on the inside of the sandwich wall and floor. Use covers over the top if applicable. Design as a retianing wall with full saturated soil on the exterior and a dry interior. Remember to watch out for joints which can corrode your reinforcing if the liquids have a direct seepage path. Use waterstop. Remember handrails around the pit since you do not want people to fall into the pool. This should start you off.

Look at manufacturers web site, talk to contaminated water experts, etc. Do a web search on contaminated water storage, detention storage of industrial waters, etc results of the search will help you.

regards
sc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back