Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Continuous Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudnik

Civil/Environmental
Dec 17, 2002
US

I work for a city engineering dept which will be doing a short "showoff" for some people visiting from our sister city in Japan. My boss says to have something running on a couple of computers that will really impress them. Yeah, right!
OK, so forget about impressing them . . . are there any demos that run continuously that a person could use for the above purpose? I could write a script but hate to spend the time for a 5-minute visit. I have in my mind a demo that might run on a computer at a trade show for AutoCAD (or whatever)
Thanks for whatever help y'alls can offer . . . Rocky

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about city employees working hard in proximity to the computers? Why put on a show, when your department’s regular working habits should speak for themselves. I hope your boss thinks about more than smoke and mirrors.

CRG -- thanks for taking the time to reply. I agree, I don't believe in "prettying up" things for visitors; however, there is a guy here who signs my paycheck who has other ideas. Besides, our task distribution involves nearly everyone in surveying, construction inspection, drafting, and doing much extra work for empty staff positions. I expect to find most of our staff being very busy in the field, given that construction season is well under way. Oh, well.

Maybe someone else can help me out . . . ??? :)
Rocky . . . `:cool:

Just use RSCRIPT as the last line in a script file and it will repeat!!

From Autocad Help:
"A script is a text file with one command on each line.

You can invoke a script at startup, or you can run a script from within AutoCAD using the SCRIPT command. A script provides an easy way to create continuously running displays for product demonstrations and trade shows."

RSCRIPT is useful for demonstrations that repeat a script; for example, a script that must run over and over during a trade show or in a showroom.

If RSCRIPT is the last line in a script file, the file runs continuously until interrupted by ESC.

Note Consider turning off UNDO and any log files if you anticipate running the script over a long period; otherwise, these log files continue to grow and take up increasing amounts of disk space.

IFRs -- thanks for the idea. Read my original post, and you will see that I did not really have the time to script something out.

AutoCAD used to have a continuously running demo, but I guess not any more.

Cheers! Rocky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back