Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need drive shaft adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

garydixon

Agricultural
Jun 20, 2003
US
I need a drive shaft adapter to increase a 1 3/16 inch round, ¼ inch keyed driveshaft to 1 ½ inch round, 3/8 inch keyed shaft. The adapter would slide over the 1 3/16 shaft and give me a 1 ½ inch shaft.

Where might I find the adapter? I do not mind welding two or more pieces together to fabricate the adapter.

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is a PTO coupling, 6 spline shaft, then you should be able to get one from a farm equipment supply. But if memory serves me right I though the large size was 1 3/8 not 1 1/2.

I used to work in a farm implement store through college and we had products by Weasler. They made a variety of different couplers and sleeves. Check also TISCO, Granger and maybe McMaster-Carr. Other than that if you have access to driveline tubing you could make one yourself.

Stephan

What you are needing is a machining problem and not really an engineering problem.

1. Find a good machine shop.
2. Ask them to take a shaft of 1.500 T&G (Turned and ground usually to +0.0000-0.0005 specs) of whatever length you need.
3. Bore out the shaft to fit (most probably to 1.1875 +0.003/+0.0015)
4. Take a 3/8" wide key of the required length. The actual depth of the key may be different than standard and will depend upon choices made in step six. You will need to machine some form of step key.
5. Make sure the key is still straight as the machining will make the material want to bow because of stress imbalances.
6. Broach the collar to accept the 3/8" key. You may wish to mill out the slot. Either method will have its challenges.
7. Install.

This should be doable in about 3 - 4 hours of shop time depending upon your requested accuracies.
If you have some length to play with (at least 3 inches I would think). make a stepped stub shaft where the slide over part on the 1.1875 is of a greater dia. than 1.5" and then change diameter to the required (probably over 1.5 inches or with a large radius using a step). Broach as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back