Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need guidance on Mounting hardware 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space213

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2017
US
Hello, I have started my first engineering job recently and have been designing a unit that is driven by a Compressor and Pump. The compressor will be mounted vertically to a structural steel member that is supported by gussets. I have Gauges and a few digital meter readers that need to be mounted to sheet metal ( flush mounted ). My issue is what is the best and most efficient way to go about designing and picking out the proper screws and bolts? When should you install a washer to your design? My plan was to measure the holes of each hardware that need to be mounted and get a fastener that can fit into it and bolt it on from the other end. None of the hardware I have has any threads its all just one empty slot to put a screw through it.

Me being a new design engineer my designs are a bit lazy and sloppy because I am not aware or forget to include the tiny components that you never think about.

Any advice on how to go about finding the fasteners required for your own specific hardware if you were designing?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Even better, don't use imperial-dimensioned fasteners going to a metric country. Replacements locally (in the metric country) won't be readily available.

I had to make a special trip to the hardware store to fix a US-made washing machine because all my tools are metric.

Absolutely, absolutely do not mix inch and metric fasteners (as seems all too common nowadays). Pick one and stick with it.

On Edit: I actually have in my bolt bin some 1/4-20 nuts that use a 10mm wrench. Yuk.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back