Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help cutting 1 mild steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserman14

Civil/Environmental
Jul 14, 2009
US
Hi im fairly new to this laser thing as out company. Bought laser two years ago and guy that was running it quit a year and couple months in. Really seems like this thing hates 3/8,1/2 and one inch. But really cuts the rest fine? MY 3/4 is awesome thats what confused me? Our machine is a mitsubisha 3045 lpv plus i believe something like that. Don't have a lot of confidence in our reps. they just don't seem real sure about what there doing? What do most people use for gas? I know somebody talked about about a nitrogen generater but do we need one? Also seems like my beam is always change positions? My cutting parameters are something like 3300 watts and like 24 ipm and gas is like 1.2 with a Type 8 nozzle is this close or am i all messed up with my setup?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If by rep you salesman, you are asking the wrong people. Have you called into the help center at Mits? First of all your gas pressure is about 2x what is needed. AT 24ipm, you should use 3800w. Are you using a 8 hole dbl with a 1.5mm or 2mm opening? Mits sells both. You should use the 2mm.

Nitrogen generators have their place, but are expensive. Also cuts with a genorator can change the edge discoloration as flow changes (high flow = worse discoloration). Makes most sense for beam path purge.

If your beam is moving, is your lens tight?

Ya thanks for the info! I was using a 1.5 8 hole double. Didn't know that they made bigger ones and our setup guy never told us about them but we got some comming now. also what is the mits help center never heard about it? number? do u think i can get your cut conditions for 1 inch and pierce to seems like it always "blows up" don't know the tech. term. Sorry. Also the lens are tight but if i check my beam through the nozzle seems to move from day to day and also when it does it's height senser calbiration seems to move? Also took out last mirror and put plexy glass deal with center point on and jog from one end to the other the beam moves almost 3/8 from one end of the other. 120 inch bed on x axis is the only time it moves moves veritcal on the plexy glass if that helps it really wierd like something isn't completey true or horizontal? any help would be great. Like i said our company and me as well are both fairly new to this laser thing and the guy before me didn't care and he never ran one before either.

Thanks.

No. Problem for the info. The mits help center is support and service. This is from their website
If you own a machine, you can download cutting conditions right from the website. There are many pierce routines. It depends on which one you use. You can talk to the training department.

That much movement on BM is too much. That site also has the latest info on alignments or call into the help center.

Hope this helps

Talked with my boss and we are not a member but we did by the machine. Didn't want to pay the extra money. Ya it's bull**** machine half a million and we can't spend 900 to keep it going!!! Ne way thanks for the help found some new pierce programs by plainng around just don't know what they are all for. 9013 seems to work good with the double 8 nozzle with the 1.5 tip so im going to try it with one inch later in the week. One more thing seems like a do alot of manual editing is this normal.

I’ve worked with Amada lasers for 10 years now. I’ve met a lot of people in the industry. Specifically, I know a few of the applications people that work for Mits. If you still having difficulty, I may be able help with some contact information.

I’m pretty sure that you mentioned your ¾ was cutting well. If that is the case, in that situation, I would tell my clients to use the exact same set up to cut 1”. The difference being the feed rate. Just slow it down by 25-30%.

I’ll state the obvious, steel quality is extremely important. There cannot be any scale on the top surface and the alloy should be homogenous. You have to correct you alignment issue. If money is tight, there are 3rd party service parties available that are often better than the manufacture’s people.

Hey guy we got tech support from mits. but they weren't much help. I found out through trial and error that 1.5 mm nozzle with typ 24 hole and a nozzle gap of .100 and a lot of postive focus .16 and with gas at .6 works awesome. Why i don't know that's not anywhere near what mits told me. I think that the nozzle gap lets the air mix with beam and adds to cut for awesome edge. also started using this set-up for everything from .5 inch and up. Works awesome but my question is why? Yes i do focal setups on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back