Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help designing/optimizing air pressure and return plenums

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrandy

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2007
US
Objective - to equalize air flow through 24 slotted openings in a distribution plenum. This plenum supplies a controlled environment chamber. The air is supplied by a fixed speed backward incline DW series industrial blower from New York Blower Co. and produces approx. 3200 CFM of air volume. It will develop approx. 4-5 psi of velocity pressure.

Configuration - I have a central chamber 24"Wide x 24"Deep x 50"Tall. The pressure plenum is adjacent to the right side of the chamber and is the same depth and height. the width of the plenum is 5". Airflow is horizontal from right to left across the chamber. The return plenum is the same size as the pressure plenum and is located adjacent to the left side of the chamber. The blower is located above the chamber and is configured as a downblast directly into the pressure plenum. After the air crosses the chamber, it is returned to the blower through the top of the return plenum. Average air temp is 125 C. The output distribution of the pressure plenum will be through 24 horizontal slots entering the chamber. The desired air speed through each slot is 1100-1500 LFPM

Current Problems - Inconsistent pressure and volume through openings in plenum to chamber, Turbulant airflow in the plenum and inconsistent temperature in the chamber.

Areas I need the most help with - Tuning both plenums to equalize air pressure, speed and volume while ensuring a laminar horizontal airflow across the chamber.

I have tried a number of adjustable slotted opening with little luck. I believe proper tuning of the plenums will provide the solution. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back