Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Finding a Source for Refined Neutral Crude Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabk

Chemical
Jan 31, 2014
I'm setting up a lab to run ASTM D3230 - Salts in Crude (Electrometric Method) and I need help finding a vendor/source for clean oil with which to build the calibration curve. From the section on reagents and materials:

ASTM D3230 said:
7.8 Oil, Refined Neutral --- Any refined chloride-free oil of approximately 20 mm[sup]2[/sup]/sec (cSt) viscosity and 40[sup]o[/sup]C and free of additive.

I am having no luck whatsoever finding a source online - most everything I've encountered has additives of some kind. Would such a thing be commonly sold under another name?

Clearly, I don't need a large quantity - one liter would be enough for several series of calibrations.

Thanks a ton for your help,
      ~Rabk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SAE 40 motor oil probably has a viscosity of 20 at around 40C
At 100C it is around 12
Find a can from a mfgr that doesn't put additives in it.

I hate Windowz 8!!!!

Well, I consider myself a naturally refined gentleman, so... [blues]

Thank you, BigInch - I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. That's a big help.

[For future time-travelers practicing their google-fu, you can search the automotive section of Amazon for "non-detergent oil."

Well... refined natural crude is still a contradiction in terms, even though I seem to have invented it myself.
confused-emoticon-scratching-head.jpg

I hate Windowz 8!!!!

finding a supplier should not be that difficult, most refiners that produce base oils would be able to serve you. the problem is that they are used to sell it by the truckload and not per litre.

you could also try a luboil blender in your neighborhood - they will have a few different crude types in stock and may be willing to help you out.

the term "neutral" merely indicates that it has a neutral pH, which applies to all solvent refined base oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back