need help : got a new job but non technical

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2015

Automotive
Sep 30, 2013
NL
hello,

Its been a while that I struggle with my current engineer job in automotive industry (conflict with boss and abuses already discussed the issue in a previous thread).

I attended an interview recently and finally got the opportunity to join a new company, however the position is non technical (project management).

I need to change job and I am willing to take this new opportunity, temporarily say for 1 year.

the question is how hard it will be for me to get back later from project management to a technical career after this move ?

Will I be stuck there forever ?

Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The experience will give you a new perspective on your past battles with management. That alone will make you a more effective engineer, should you choose to return from The Dark Side.

Since you'll be making a lot more money, you may not want to come back.

It will be a hell of a ride, either way.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks Mike.

It is out of question for me to leave engineering. It is vital

Is it your advice that I go for it ?
Please How much will it be difficult to get back in your experience ?

Thanks again for your valuable insight.

I was told about people who could never recover from such move and return to engineering once they move to a non technical position, is that true ? is that so critical if the duration is limited ?
I am a bit scared.

Your fear, indecisiveness, and hesitancy to proceed all point toward your apparent suitability to a management position.

All kidding aside, you'll never know unless you try. As Mike mentioned, just the perspective gained could be invaluable. In addition, bringing your technical background into project leadership should serve you well, and count toward credibility with your new teammates. A bit of advice: communication and networking.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Your fear, indecisiveness, and hesitancy to proceed all point toward your apparent suitability to a management position.

why ? not necessarly. I am forced to go there, as I have troubles and I am afraid that my job will be terminated.
So it is the only way out by now.

Project managers generally lead technical people, so it's not like you're going to another planet; you'll just be on the other side of a fence.

It's kind of a porous fence, too. You will be _influencing_ technical decisions, and hence able to influence a wider scope of events. If you find yourself _making_ technical decisions, you are not managing.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike,

All right.

And what about 1 year from now reapplying to technical position? Will I stand some chances in your view ?

sorry for insisting by the way.

thanks again

In Oil & Gas we see Project Management as an Engineering role. Time spent in that role wouldn't be a detriment for any technical job I've ever seen. Maybe Automotive is that much different than Oil & Gas, but it wouldn't be a problem here.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Guys, please be aware that I have already agreed verbally that I will go for this position.

Because of the doubts that I have had with regard to the position being a non technical role, I called the hiring manager some time ago to tell him some of my doubts and asking some clarifications.

Basically the communication went very professional, and the hiring manager answered to my concerns trying to comfort me. No doubt that I appeared uncertain and even may have looked like someone who changed his mind. Anyhow the discussion went fine with a kind of mutual understanding. So I dont see this too much of an issue, the process is still ongoing for the hiring and they are proceeding with next step.

Problem is that I am afraid I have been unethical in the sense that I came with questions and doubts after I have given a clear agreement verbal. Looks like my interest (loving technical work) has been more important than my promise and the word I have given to someone. So I feel a bit guilty about it. Again that is not from the standpoint of the hiring company but simply with respect to my own values.

I consider people who do not keep their promise to be opportunists and now I feel myself not proud about my attitude.

Have you been through similar feelings or situations ?
Do you think I have been unethical ?

Thanks for sharing your valuable wisdom and experience.

Anytime you leave your comfort zone (even your crappy job you have now) there's going to be doubts, nervousness, and general agitation. It will last from the time you interview until you're in the job a couple of months. It's normal, in my mind, and I wouldn't worry about it.
You're in a bad job. It's not going to improve unless you leave. So go!

Let's face it. As time goes on in the engineering fields, you advance by taking on administrative duties, personnel management, promotion of the business, etc all of which get you away from the nuts and bolts. That's generally the way it goes for those with smarts in several ways. Look upon it as an advancement. Stay only as a technical person and you may be happy, but most of us would rather be in charge instead of being the grunts.

I won't comment on the rest, but I fail to see anything unethical about having doubts before or after accepting an agreement.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back