Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help: IBC 2006 Seismic Calculation For Horizontal Pressure Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachyDude

Mechanical
Nov 19, 2010
US
Anybody having calculation or method for calculation of Seismic Load according to IBC 2006 for a horizontal pressure vessel with 2 saddles...???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MachyDude, a simple approach: Calculate the sesimic load per the relevant standard, IBC in your case, treat the vessel as a rigid body, analyze the supports for bending in the weak direction, analyze for overturning, analyze anchor bolt shear.

If your vessel shell is "large" and/or "thin" or has other unusual features, extra analysis may be in order.

Regards,

Mike

its a large storage tank.

SnTMan (Mechanical): Do know appropriate formula for calculation horizontal seismic loading for ibc 2006.
I am Trying with
Fp= ( 0.3*SDs*I*W ) Kg

tell me if its correct or not.?

MachyDude, sorry I don't have any building codes at hand. Often there are formulas for "non-building structures" or "mechanical components", etc. You are going to have to read the applicable code and make your best decision I'm afraid.

Regards,

Mike

I was thinking IBC 2006 referenced ASCE 7-05, and it includes provisions for saddle-mounted pressure vessels, although it can take a while to sift through it all.

JStephen: Yeah, I was reading, seaching in both coads...but cudn't find any thing specific for saddle mounted vessel.
Finding somthing in these codes becomes real pain some time...;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back