Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help modelling a basic wing with chord-wise (streamwise) riblets

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTrombley0924

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2012
US
I have modeled a basic NACA 0012 wing using equation driven curves, then extruded the resulting sketch. My next step is to add triangular riblets (think a speed bump but triangular cross-section instead of round) along the upper surface of the wing extending in the direction that air would be flowing, where the cross section plan would be perpendicular to the airflow (as opposed to span-wise, which would make the cross section plane parallel to the flow) . I'm having trouble figuring out how I would make them follow the curve of the wing.

Any ideas? I'm relatively new to SolidWorks, so there may be some features that do this that I am not familiar with, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CorBlimeyLimey is right;
If your wing narrows in toward the end, you will have to set up planes one through the wing perpendicular to the flow, and a lot (one for each groove) parallel to flow. Make a sketch from the interfering model and flow-parallel planes, make a sketch of the groove on the flow-perpend.-plane. Sweep-cut.
Another way is to make the ribs as guide curves and the surface as sweep-curve.
More tricky to get it right.
If possible, split the wing to smaller parts, as they are easier to handle.

regards

Morten K. Thillemann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back