Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help on how to write to a display w/a micrologix

Status
Not open for further replies.

eetm

Electrical
Nov 26, 2002
US
I have to display the "cycles per minute" on our filler that is not plc controlled. We want to do this in a cost effective manner using a plc. We have standardized with Micrologix plc's. Is there a device that will allow a register in the micrologix to drive a LED display? thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We just set up a Micrologix 1500 with an A-B Panelview 300 Micro. It's Small, simple (4 function keys, cursor and up/down cursor keys) and fairly inexpensive, right up until you buy all the accessories:
* the 8-pin DIN to 8-pin DIN cable between the devices
* the 8-pin DIN to 9-pin serial programming cable
* Panelbuilder32 software
* (Optional) Ethernet to serial network adapter (we made channel 0 on the micro talk to a PLC-5 via ethernet)

One pitfall we found is that the serial driver in RSLinx used for the Panelview is different than the one for the Micrologix - and you have to reboot the pc twice when you switch between them. Also, that 8-pin/8-pin cable comes in 2-meter and .5-meter length. The .5m is next to useless unless you broke a shoelace.

Sorry everyone. We want to use a 4" or larger LED display so the results could be seen from a distance. Panelviews are too small... Thanks again.

hi...

i am not endorsing any product in this site....... but red-lion controls can provide a readout display of 4" readable up to 180 feet.....all you need is the "pulse" or "signal" and work on the parameters....easy to modify..

...no need to buy any HMI software and work on AB ladder logic......

keep it simple

dydt

Vorne Industries makes a very nice, large diplay. I've used them to display cycle rate on a hydraulic press. All you need is an input to the display. The input can be a sensor or relay contact that triggers once per cycle. This same display can also totalize the count and records downtime. I then reset the display at the start of every shift. I can't remember the model number though, but it's on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back