Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help solving Pressure vessel problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyfalcon

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2022
IN
Hello

I am a complete novice in pressure vessel calculation and I have to solve this problem given to me using whatever resources I can find on the internet. Now I spent last 2 days reading and watching various tutorials but I am still not able to solve the problem with the given data in the problem.
Given data:-
Content - CO2
Internal Pressure - 500 bar
ID - 500mm
Volume - 125 liters
Vessel Material - ss304
desired height - 5 to 7 feet

Every tutorial I found needed Temperature in order to find wall thickness and without finding wall thickness I cannot proceed any further. So can anyone please tell me how to find the temperature or whether I need to proceed without it somehow assuming some things.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well temperature is no different to all the other data inputs you've listed so go back to wherever they came from and either look closer or ask whoever gave you that data to add the temp one.

There is no answer to find here. Temperature is an input from the desired process.

This could be -50C or 1000C. No one knows except you.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I don't think your dimensions match your capacity.
You don't actually say what problem it is you're solving, either.
I note that design code, joint efficiency, corrosion allowance are not shown.

And 5 HUNDRED BAR is one hell of a pressure (7,250 psi). That's really quite unusual.

Well I'm supposed to design a pressure vessel using the information given and assuming the rest like joint efficiency and corrosion allowance etc. Code would be ASME VIII. Now i have no idea whether to use Div 1 or div 2.
And for the pressure being too high, the question was given to me by a company that makes prototypes as a part of the interview/test. Stuff they make varies based on project and is far from the usual. They want to see how i go about the problem and what assumptions or considerations i make and whether I am able to make a proper 3d model from the data i get from the calculations.

My guess is that you've been looking too specifically at tutorials about designing cylinders for liquid CO2 in equilibrium with a gas phase, where it's genuinely useful to use a method based on temperature. If you've been given a maximum pressure of 500 bar, then you're no longer dealing with a liquid - you've moved into supercritical fluid territory and that easy relationship between temperature and pressure no longer holds up.

The more general cylinder design standards all use pressure as the basic parameter for determining wall thickness (and that's a quantity you've been given). Most of the standards (ISO 9809 is the most recent) are fairly expensive to buy but, as an example, you could look at the the old British HOS standard which is downloadable for free. (Note: HOS is four generations old, having been superseded forty years ago and the mean diameter formula it uses was replaced by a Lamé von Mises formula two generations ago - but as a basis for an academic exercise, there's nothing wrong with it)

In practice, you would still want to keep an eye on temperature, if only to ensure that your materials retain their mechanical properties.

A.

(Edit: Just to add that this cross-posted with the OP's latest)

Greyfalcon,
There is no code rule that demarcates vessels manufacturing by Div 1, 2 or 3. Industry standard typically is:
Div 1- upto 3000 psi
Div 2- upto 10,000 psi
Div 3- above 10,000 psi.
It’s the cost that follows the Div rules. Most likely, you would like to use Part 4 of Div 2 unless you have the capability to do Part 5 analysis.
But before you start, you need to set the design pressure and design temperature. Both are inter-related and complements each other.

GDD
Canada

Since this appears to be a problem concering a storage vessel for CO2 then the temperature to design for would be the maximum and minimum ambient temperatures whatever that may be. If located indoors may be governed by HVAC. If outdoors and covered then would be maximum and minimum ambient temperature which can be found in ASHRAE for a given location. If outdoors and exposed to sun will get a little more complicated since solar heat gain will need to be taken into account.

If this is an interview task for a company that won't give the information needed to complete the task, I think I'd look for another company:)

Regards

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

So assume 50C and say why - no other information supplied so assume it is a storage container.

Or do two and use 500C for the other to show the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back