Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help! Steps and time increment? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemey

Geotechnical
Apr 2, 2010
CA
Hi there,

Not sure if I will get a response here or not but am giving it a shot. I am working on a simple problem (two steps) and at during the second step get this error:

"The plasticity/creep/connector friction algorithm did not converge at # points"

The # starts off huge and keeps going down with successive increment attempts untill it reaches something like 1.

I did a quick search on here and decreased my min increment size to 1E-10. And evern tried remeshing with no luck. Any ideas on what else might fix this? Decrease the min increment further?

I know this is pretty vague but did not want to bore with a lengthy post. Im working with version 6.7 can add details/ upload my model if anyone would be willing to help.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like "The plasticity/creep/connector friction algorithm did not converge at # points" is your problem but to be sure try removing all of this from your analysis and see if it converges. Add the extra complexity 1 at a time. Good luck.

Rob Stupplebeen

Thanks for the reply. I am new to the program and am not sure where to look for the problem.

I have only used the general user interface to create the model with the exception of defining my "geostatic" condition. My problem has two steps: 1) geostatic 2) Loading.

I agree with Rob, I would also build the model up. It has helped me in the past adn that way you know where the problem lies. If you problem hs any contact, maybe simplify this to see if you obtain a coverged solution. Same with materials properties.

The problem was with my contact, I don't know excatly what went wrong but I built up my model from scratch and voila! Problem solved :)...Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back