Need help to Land my first entry level Electrical Engineer job

Status
Not open for further replies.

justgraduated

Electrical
Feb 1, 2007
CA
Hi Everybody,

I am new to the group and from what I have been reading so far this is an awesome forum. I can only wish I found it sooner.

Now my case:

I am a recent canadian graduate in electrical engineering (BASc) with no practical engineering experience. Graduated in october 2006 moved to toronto, had 3 interviews so far but no job. I believe I'm living proof of catch 22 ....no experience no job.. no job no experience. Daily activity for past three months == resumes and coverletters and some part-time work to pay the bills. I need help, I really love electrical engineering but without experience life's tough. I am very open to relocation if I can get a job quickly.

I have applied for licensing and requested to be registered in the EIT program. I am considering moving to Alberta but I do not know anyone out there. I welcome any help or advice I can get.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a few hours outside of Toronto with quite a few friends who moved there for work within the last couple years, and I think that it’s a good city to keep looking. As already mentioned Calgary is booming, but I have heard that Montreal’s job market is growing because of it.

If I were you I would make sure your resume and coverletter are well done. Take it to a professional and have it done. My gpa was similar to yours and I did not put mine on. I was always told a resume should only show what gives you an advantage. Have a copy of your transcript at interviews though.

I would also develop a skill that will set you apart from all your competition. I agree with an earlier poster, that this is probably a bad time to be looking for work. But, there will be new jobs available in the spring for those graduating in April. So, while those students are finishing their projects, reports and exams start learning about PLC programming.

As far as GPA goes:

I've looked at a lot of resumes and for a new grad, not showing a GPA is a HUGE red flag. Your first job is really the only time this is going to matter too much. I would include the GPA and save everyone a lot of time. Anyone with any sense is going to require official transcripts of your coursework before they hire you anyway.

Your GPA could be better, but it's not so low that everyone will be running in the other direction.

I don't know about Canada, but if in the US, I'd suggest contacting some large electrical contractors. They sometimes hire graduate engineers to assist with preparation of submittals, purchasing, change orders, etc and they may not be as finicky about GPA as a big engineering firm or industrial firm.

But everyone starts with no experience - that doesn't earn you any hard luck awards- if you're looking for sympathy, I don't think you're going to find much around here.

My advice would be to stop shooting for the moon. I know you probably have loans to pay off etc., and thje school counselors told you about all the wonderful things you could do with your degree, but the reality is that your value is more based upon experience than GPAs, degress, school names etc.

Get a cheap appartment and a few cases of peanut butter. Then go find a small hungry company who needs someone in a junior position but can't afford to pay much. Work for peanuts, do a great job, out perform your compensation in other words. Start-ups are a great resource for these kinds of jobs. Then when you have a year or 2 in the trenches, start looking to improve your lot. If the start-up was successful and you proved your worth, they may need to make you content enough to stay. If they can't, they will likely feel grateful enough to give you a good reference. If they go under, that never looks bad on a resume, it looks like you left under circumstances beyond your control, but you still have experience. Most of us look at experiences like that as being valuable lessons on how the world really works. That can be a win win win situation from a career standpoint, but you will need to live in a hovel eating PBJ sandwiches for a while.

Welcome to the real world!

The most important thing to consider while hunting for your first job.... is to know what you are hunting for.

You need to apply for very specific positions. There are zillions of fields within electrical.

I agree with the other advice of not putting your GPA on your resume. It's low enough that it won't help and likely hurt you. Anywhere that'll dismiss you for not putting your marks on your resume will likely dismiss you for having low marks anyway.

Ideal job?? The ideal job is the one that gives you a paycheque. Anything more is just bonus.

You said you worked in clubs and project etc. Use that in your resume. Show you have experience via those routes.

Justgraduated,

We all find it difficult when we start off, I think I sent out 100 applications and recieved only a couple of interviews but just as I was about to give up I landed my first job.

Agencies wont necessarily be a help as people wont usually go to an agent to look for a graduate.

Internet adds always get several people applying for them so you will always be one of the least experienced.

I am not saying dont pursue these, but dont pin your hopes on them.

You need to get your name out there. Look up your yellow pages on the internet and print a list of all your local engineering consultants, call them asking if it is worth sending in your CV, you may get the manager on the phone so prepare to answer their questions. I got my last two jobs in the US by this method so it can work, and you get an idea if the person you are working for is cool or an @$$h#le.

If they say no then ask if it is worth sending your CV in just for their records, or just send a follow up letter with your CV attached.

The other thing is to stay active, attend any free seminars in your field that you can find and take some copies of your CV for networking, do some volunteer work in something related - it shows that you are keen.

When you are at an interview, just remember, they have all been like you once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back