Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help to un-restrict a Honda X4 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.

HongKongMick

Civil/Environmental
Jan 11, 2006
HK
I have a Honda X4 1300 imported second hand from Japan to Hong Kong. This bike suffers from restrictions that I need to get rid of.

Firstly there is a restriction in the ignition system that cuts out one cylinder once I hit 180km/Hr. Secondly it also cuts out one cylinder at 8,500RPM.

I have found a fix for the top end (180km/hr) restriction on a German web page dedicated to the X 4 by doing some simple re-wiring behind the head light but this does not work on my bike as it causes the RPM to cut out at 5,000 RPM instead of 8,500rpm.

Has anyone any experience with this kind of castration, my bike is a 98 and I believe the Taco restriction is something new .

I have also found several web pages for the X 4 in Japanese but am unable to read them. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Cheers "Mad Dog Mick"

Ps the German web page is and has several Japanese links.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 180km/h restriction is common on many Japanese domestic bikes. It usually involves a resistor that is cut when the bike reaches 180km/h. On the back of the speedo you should have an earth, +12v & look for a wire that runs from the CDI to the back of the speedo & measure the resitance. It can change from model to model & by manufacturer. For example on some kawasakis it is a 10k ohm resistor between the CDI & earth. Get in contact with some shops in Japan. Two common brands for de restictors are M-max & Posh. You may find the tacho works the same. Another way is to get a CDI from a european spec bike from a wrecker.
Regards,
MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back