Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need Help with Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth4z

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2003
US
I just started experimenting with macros. I figured out how to record a macro fairly easily, but I was curious about the programming aspect. I've begun experimenting with different recordings and looking at the resulting macro to discover various commands. Where can a beginner get help with learning the language? This is the first program I have used a macro with, so I will need an extremely basic tutorial on macros.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I knew nothing about API like you a couple years ago and was curious to learn about it. I took the VB API Class offered by SolidWorks to learn at least something about it. The rest I learned on my own using online info, the SolidWorks API help files, and any VB API code example I could find.

Today, I'm not a wizard by any means but I know enough to manipulate the software by use of a macro. Some of the macro's I've made save us tremendous time.

Good luck! And keep with it.
Jeff

Buy a book.

The best place to start is to learn VBA (the language of macros). It is also the language for MS Office macros. A solid understanding of VB goes a long way toward sorting out advanced API calls (like SW). I started out by learning straight VB (VB6) from books/CD's found at B&N.

Don't forget SW has its own API help available right there in the help menu. It has its shortcomings, but it is about the best API documentation of any kind that I have come across.

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Small correction, alexit - SW only uses VBA. Yes, VB6 and VBA are almost identical, but there are some syntactical differences (for example in the string manipulation area). However, you can use VB, VB.NET, C#, etc. to automate SW or to develop SW add-ins. However, if you want to use the more powerful languages, you have to buy the appropriate development tool. I have even seen a project in Java.

Evan T. Basalik, MCSD
--------------------------------
It's all about prioritization...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back