Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need info RE: a swivel for a steel hoist

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRO

Structural
Dec 27, 2001
US
I am designing a steel hoist system for a chain fall that can swivel. It's a simple design for the most part, except for the fact that the hoist needs to swivel at least 180 deg. at the base.
_______7'_______
| |
| |
| V
| 4 kip
|
10'
|
|
|
| __swivel here
| /
| /
___|/___
////////

This is the first case like this I've come across, and the only solution I could think of was some kind of bearing. The problem is that I don't have any info as far as:
*the connection (to both the steel column and the concrete footing),
*selection (size/type of bearing),
*cost,
*or even how to get the bearings.

Am I heading in the right direction with this, or should I do something completely different?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In one of the shops I worked in, they had a crane-hoist design similar to what you're proposing. The vertical beam was simply a pipe about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, and was inserted into a pipe base that was bolted to the floor. The pipe base had gussets along the outside that was welded to a round plate on the bottom and in turn, this bottom plate was bolted to the floor.
The base had a couple of grease fittings. This crane had pretty much the dimensions stated above, except our Yale hoist was rated at 1 ton working load.
This crane-hoist wasn't elegant in design, but maybe it will generate some discussion to help you out.

Flores

I don't mean to be technical; however, the crane you are refering to is termed "pillar-jib crane" as the jib is not mounted on a wall or vertical face but a pillar. Considering that you are designing something unfamiliar with, I would suggest subcontracting out to a qualified crane manufacturer. Though if you are interested, I have a one-page drawing of the said equipment in my WHE inventory.

mannyg:
Thanks your input as far as passing the job off to someone else, but I would never have become an engineer if the job description was pumping out the same type of job over and over again. Although this is the first pillar-jib crane that I've done, I don't see a problem with the structure itself. Originally, my problem was getting the crane to rotate, but thanks to all of the responses I have a lot better understanding of how these cranes work. You can never have enough information, so as far as that detail you mentioned, you can e-mail me or fax which ever is easier for you. Thanks

sorlowski@fieldengrg.com
Fx: 1(508) 758-2849

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back