Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need input on belt cleaners 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood48

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2004
US
We are using clay and shale for the production of quarry tile. Does anyone have a recommendation for a belt cleaner?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, don't try a brush type with wet or sticky material (e.g. clay). Next, almost any belt cleaner will work for the first 1000 hours. After that most need adjustment. The simplest is to set up a weekly program to adjust and repalce as needed. Unfortunately this takes labour hours, which can be expensive.

The best, low maintenace units are the ones with individual blades mounted on arms (like fingers) with the blades at a slight angle to the belt, some times called a spring arm cleaner. (see for an example)

For efficient belt cleaning, you will require at least primary and secondary scrapers. Either or both of which can be the spring arm type as described by Koalmnr or a counterweighted arm type. For wet and/or sticky materials, incorporating water sprays is recommended to ensure high efficiency along with the regular maintenance that Koalmnr recommends. The following links provide some useful information:

I would also recommend a dual belt cleaning system using a Gordon Saber for the primary with the “gray” blade option (for wet and dry applications). For the secondary I recommend a Martin “Durt Hawg” with multiple tungsten blades.

Gordon cleaners are made by Arch environmental and are easy to install. Their twist tensioner is easy to operate and safer then the ratchet types. I use these types of cleaners on rail unloading facilities where the material can be wet and sticky or hard dry lumps.

We use a belt cleaner called Brelko. The pre cleaner works well but the secondary cleaner is the best we have ever used. "And we have tried plenty." Long blade life, minimum adjustments good cleaning effiency. PRB coal.

Good Luck
Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back