Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need input regarding should anneali

Status
Not open for further replies.

gma301221

Aerospace
Apr 23, 2015
US
Need input regarding should annealing be performed on 4340 hardened bars? 4340 bars after heat treating at 1525F/oil quench/ tempered at 1190F. Hardness lower than 28hRC. IS full anneal required prior to rehardening and tempering at temperatures around 1125-1140F.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the aspect of mechanical properties, I would not anneal before rehardening. I would question your temperature prior to quench however. 1525°F seems a bit low, I would go to 1550°F minimum. Is your hardness requirement 28HRc? What hardness were you actually getting? Your 1190°F temper temperature seems about right to get around 28HRc.

Bob

I would not re-anneal.
1525F should be fine, provided that there is no delay in getting parts into quench.
I would look into the hold time, are you sure that you are heating long enough?
And is there any chance of surface de-carb? That would give you a lower surface hardness.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Re-anneal is not needed. normalizing may give you some benefit. you can simply re-temper at higher temp to knock down hardness, but cannot re-temper lower for a higher hardness.
1525F is ok, or even lower than that. An axiom: "temper low, harden high; temper high, harden low"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back