Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need inputs for controlling heat treat distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearman1234

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2002
CA
We are skiving gears 12DP, 20 deg and 60 teeth. The material is 8620. The heat treat distortion compels me to increase the al.lowance for skiving from 0.005 per flank to almost 0.010 per flank. This reduces productivity.

I would appreciate if any body has any tips for controlling the heat treat distortion in steel getting carburised and heat treated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many sources of shape change but in my view the order of importance in terms of their effects are.
1)Material variability - analysis, source and processing
2)Material variability - heat treat/residual stress condition prior to carburizing
3)Shape change during quench
4)Shape change (creep) during carburizing.

Work done 25 years ago at the University of Aston in England and repeated more recently at Illinois Institute of Technology shows that more random variation in shape is caused by variations in batch chemical analysis than any other factor.

Having reduced variability in analysis as much as possible then prior treatment should involve normalize and temper of all material and maybe even stress relief

The quench severity needs to be reduced to the minimum capable of producing the required properties hence the current interest in vacuum carburizing and gas quenching

Finally the parts need to be racked and supported to minimise creep during carburize.

You might want to try 4340
and see if you do not get less
distortion. You might want to
consider flame hardening
quench and temper and then
stress relief. .010 per side
does seem excessive even with
carburized material.
Are you cutting the blank oversize
to allow for the shrinkage?

Diamondjim: Customer specified material is 8620. So the option of using 4340 is presently not under active consideration. But if nothing works then we would have to try that.

We are cutting blanks oversize so that heat treat distortion is taken care of in finish hobbing after heat treatment.

Carburize: Thanks for the feedback. I would try to contact Illinois institute of technology to check if they have any specification for material, for heat treatment process which gives less distortion.

You could try vacuum carburizing, using a high pressure gas quench, or a quench containing hydrogen if necessary. Email me and I can suggest a company to work with. They have been successful in reducing distortion for the auto companies.

Another way of reducing distortion during heat treat is to cryogenically treat the item before heat treat. This assumes true cryogenics, not the -110 F cold treatment.

Of course, the advice about material given in the postings above is operative. If you start out with or induce high residual stresses in the metal, ther is not much you can do about the distortion they cause as they relieve.

Ways of minimizing distortion on 8620 Material:

1) rough machine - stress relieve - machine - carburize

2) marquench (use hot oil)

3) quench plug or tool for carburizing

4) vacuum carburize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back