Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Laptop Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

purecoda

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2004
US
I'm looking to purchase a laptop that will run SolidWorks well, but also do a good job with games and audio editing. I've narrowed it down to two laptops, and would appreciate any input you might have.

Laptop A - Acer TravelMate 8104 $2200
2.0M
1GB RAM
128 MB ATI x700 PCI-E
unsure of HD speed

Laptop B - IBM T42P $1900
2.0M
1GB RAM
128 MB ATI FireGL T2 AGP 4X
7200 RPM HD

I also think that the Acer has a higher front side bus rating, due to the fact its a newer chipset than the IBM.

Has anyone had any luck running SW on an ATI X700 Mobile chipset?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use only Dell laptops, works great! IBM might be OK, but have seen little problems with ACER.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

I have an IBMT42P very close to what you have listed above, as far as SolidWorks goes it is great, no problems at all, the ATI FireGL T2 is really an awesome card when working with SW. I am not a gamer so I cant speak to that.

the dell looks hot... but compareably configured its a whopping $3500! way way out of my price range.

my coworker had the t41 an that was a slick little machine, and as far as acer goes, i have an aspire and absolutely love it. it runs solidworks, but too glitchy (dimensions appear/disappear at random). everything else it runs amazingly.

any other ideas?

my coworker had the t41 an that was a slick little machine, and as far as acer goes, i have an aspire and absolutely love it. it runs solidworks, but too glitchy (dimensions appear/disappear at random). everything else it runs amazingly.

If you don't laptop with an approved video card, then you are going to see many glitchy things as well as slow downs, crashing, instability, etc... So that's up to you on how important/expensive your time is for you to live with the glitchy, crashy issues or get a laptop that you will not complain about.

Try looking on ebay. An AE here got his M60 for around $2000.

There is new lower end CAD laptop by Dell. I believe it's the M20. Check it out.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Scott is absolutely right. It doesn't take too many hours of lost productivity due to crashes, freezes, etc. to make up for the extra cost of the PC, and then some.

Has anyone used or considered the Alienware MJ-12M 7700 laptop? It comes in P4 flavors up to 3.8GHx.

It has some really awsome specs including either a ATI Mobility RADEON X800 with 256MB DDR3 or NVIDIA GeForce 6800GO with 256MB DDR3 or NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1400 with 256MB DDR3 video card options. Tha last card being a very good option.

The grafix card is the quadro fx1400 pci express. Its the new card being fitted to dells flagship m70. If you go on the akienware web site go to the workstation section because if you go to laptops you get the gaming grafix cards

twit just remembered somthing else

BOXX and EUROCOMM

both of the above companies supply the same machine. I have been told that they are all made by the same company and just badged for each company

The MJ-12M 7700 is the onlyLaptop there that I can find that has the Quadro Option

NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1400 with 256MB DDR3 - which is the same card as the M70 gets. - Compared that to the SW graphics card and testing.

1) The standard M70 without any customization is $2,377.
The Alienware MJ-12M 7700 without any customization is $2,627

2) Dell gives a broader band of different CPU's Unlike Alienware

3) They both give the same amount of RAM (256) which should be upgraded to at least 1 gig. - 1GB, 533MHz, DDR2 SDRAM (2 DIMMS)

4) Alienware gives you the choice of different cards (which those are not supported by SW). Dell does not give you the choice of Video cards it maintains the Quadro card.

5) Alienware comes with a 40 Gig HDD as does Dell.

With these choices here are the costs for each system

Alienware: $2,774

Dell's M70: $2,776

Where is the benefit other then personal Preference and some different options?

The basic laptops from each has the Dell as the least Expensive, but as you customize it the cost grows and the Dell seems to cost you more depending on the options you choose. But to get a system the will work effectively, it comes down to choise or personal preference.

My personal Preference is a Dell. I have 2 of them and both most reliable.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

I found the monitors for each system:

Dell 15.4" UltraSharpTM Wide Aspect (choice of WUXGA, WSXGA+ or WXGA)

The Alienware MJ-12m 7700 17" widescreen

If you looking for a new Mobile workstation, I suggest you check out either of these 2 systems, both have the pros and cons, it's up to you to decide what you like.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

Don't get me wrong I'm slating the dell, i almost bought one.

The main differences are

the alien has a 17 inch screen
it uses a standard pentium HT processor not the mobile processor
It is expandable to 4 gig of ram from 4 slots (mem is sensible price compared to dell)
You have the option to have 2 hard drives ( i have had the 2 x 60 gig 7200rpm non raid option)

There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. The alien uses more desktop components so is more of a desktop replacement than laptop, the increase in power has the down side of poor battery life.
The dell is based on mobile tech so it gives some on the performance to gain battery life.

It is purely a personal choice. My reasoning was that I was using the machine away from home so the big screen was a selling point and the battery life was not a problem because how many times do you do CAD on the train

As finishing note If you contact any of the vendors for the main CAD systems ie Unigraphics, solidworks etc they all use the dell M60 and I would presume they are moving to the M70

Please add NOT to my last post

I ment to say "I'm not slating Dell"

Brain works quicker than my fingers

HT needs to be shut off to get a performance increase in SW. With HT on you only use 50% of your total CPU.

That's true about RAM, but at 1 gig the prices are compariable.

You have option in the Dell to have a removeable HDD and a primary HDD as you do the Alienware.

The M60 was last years Laptop this year it's the M70 or M20.

The M20 has a Support ATI card. I played with it at SWWC this year. I liked and the price is good good too. Starting price is $1,927.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

scott thanks for the tip on HT I'll look into that when its delivered.

I think your US prices are a lot better than for us poor UK consumers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back