Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Laptop Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

purecoda

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2004
US
I'm looking to purchase a laptop that will run SolidWorks well, but also do a good job with games and audio editing. I've narrowed it down to two laptops, and would appreciate any input you might have.

Laptop A - Acer TravelMate 8104 $2200
2.0M
1GB RAM
128 MB ATI x700 PCI-E
unsure of HD speed

Laptop B - IBM T42P $1900
2.0M
1GB RAM
128 MB ATI FireGL T2 AGP 4X
7200 RPM HD

I also think that the Acer has a higher front side bus rating, due to the fact its a newer chipset than the IBM.

Has anyone had any luck running SW on an ATI X700 Mobile chipset?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think prices in China are worse than UK & US.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

Thanks again for all the input, I'll be sure to take a look at the Alienware option, although with a P4 I can be sure it will run hot and loud (a personal peeve of mine). Again, this laptop isn't purely for business, and what I'm finding is I almost need 2 different machines to handle all the things I'd like to be able to do. My current laptop is great in every aspect, with the exception of SW. I'd really like to get the Acer 8104, but don't want to take another gamble on the video card. The others suggested are good, but much more expensive when similarly spec'd... I'm going to keep checking eBay for a while.

I found another alternative over the weekend and would like some feedback if anyone has any experience. Its the HP nw8240.
It looks like a better solution for me because it has a newer and certified card (the firegl mobility 5000) and is much closer to my $2000 price range. I did find an IBM T42P that I could get for around the same price, but that model is starting to be outdated and I'm not a fan of 4:3 aspect ratio.

What do you think?

I have tried a couple Compaq's in the past. I had glitches with hard-drives, not running smooth. Don't know about the model you listed.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

Is the computer speed critical for SW?
I am switchig from 10 years on PowerDraw (MAC only) to SW (PC only), and being so famiiar with PCs looking for good one. Found one on E-bay:
IBM ThinkPad T40p 1.6GHz 14" 1GB DVDR/CDRW SXGA+ T42p
14000x1050 ATI FIRE GL 9000 WiFi Bluetooth Warranty Item number: 6777536387
- everything looks fine according to SW website requirements, but not sure about speed?
Thanks,
Yuri

The 64mb ATI Mobility FIRE GL 9000 graphics card is on the weak side if you are planning to use SW with assemblies of any major size, or are working with complex molded or surfaced parts. I also think the 14" display is on the small size, and you are limited to "only" 1400x1050 max resolution. You'll find yourself wanting something different after you buy this.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

- thank you. Which card / system configuration would you recommend?
Yuri

Yuri, read through this entire thread. There is a great deal of information and suggestions in each post. Ultimately, the the choice depends on how much you want to spend and how much you need the laptop to do.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thomas, thanks again. I re-read the entire thread (and FAQ731-376!) for a few times, as well, did try to get more info on Googles.
I have also checked Solidworks requirements for Graphic cards, etc., the problem is: they are giving info about certified cards different way than computer stores..., but I will do more home work to learn the subject.
As per spend/need: $2000-2500; general mechanical design of small parts and assemles with <50 parts + "Tool Box". Display: 15" min. + good service.
Yuri

Yuri

I got the HP nw8240, and absolutely love it. It was obviously designed to go head to head with the IBM Thinkpad. It (the nw8240) has a magnesium alloy casing, very comfortable touchpad and track point with rubber tops, and a great keyboard. Spec wise, its pretty solid, with a 1.8P-M processor (2.0 option), single DIM 512MB DDR2 memory (single 1024MB option), 80GB 5400RPM HD (60GB 7200RPM option), 128MB ATI Mobility V5000, wireless, bluetooth option, etc.

Anyway, it runs SolidWorks great, and I don't even have the upgraded model (it even supports RealView very nicely). I recommend it highly and got it at a very good price (about $2100 shipped, from

- thanks a lot, it was helpfull and HP NW800 silmilar to yours is coming to me this week!
Yuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back