Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need lesson on valve nomenclature: common lingo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algalmat

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2011
US
I'm a bit confused on what is meant by an "800#" valve, and other vague specifications. I'm guessing this info is meaningless unless there is additional information, such as WOG or WSP.

I'm familiar with ANSI 16.34 and its associated classes, but I don't think these class numbers are used in typical manufacturer lingo.

Can someone fill me in on what the language is for valve suppliers, especially for small bore valves, such as 3" and under ball valves. Flanged 4" and up are pretty standard, all references are clearly for 16.34.

Also, if I'm designing a system for B31.3, its not enough to say "1000 WOG", if there is no other mention of an associated code, right?

Thanks for the input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welcome to the club! You are of course correct! The whole world is suffering from 'undefined' technical descriptions.

Using standard logic: even if some engineers in a certain part of the world uses a non-accurate, abbreviated description of a more complex component, this is not acceptable comercially.

This is the reason for having codes and commercial and juridical laws.

Even if there is a 'local lingo' you will always have to ask for total technical descriptions and references to rules.

Regrettably there is no way to avoid this if you want to produce and trade on an acceptable world-wide QA level.

But beware: long term operators quite often refer to description and codes they 'always' have used, and miss out on recent updates and corrections.

In addition to codes, you should also refer to dates of issue and latest corrections.

Thanks for the replies.

My specific issue is small size ball valves, 2" and under. What are the codes that regulate the capability of these sizes? Obviously B16.34 applies, but many manufacturers don't put code compliance statements on their tech sheets (e.g., Apollo valves).

Should I be able to order a Class 150 2" ball valve?

I am going to give you my $.02 as someone who lived day & night in the valve world and shared your frustration... the industry is extremely sloppy, IMO... several different standards are used and many, many factors need to be considered.

Basic flanged valves are built to ANSI classes... 150#, 300#, 600#... however, this doesn't NOT cover the whole valve... I.E. ANSI Class 600# is good to 1440 PSI, but many 600# valves many not handle that... due to seat materials... the seat & other soft parts change the game. So, you could be ordering a valve to an ANSI class that may not actually handle the full ANSI rating...

In general... (VERY general, many exceptions...)
ANSI valves... 150#, 300#, etc. cover flanged valves & weld end valves... (although Jamesbury also makes some NPT ANSI valves) ... but usually think flanged & butt weld ball valve, globe, gate, etc. High performance & triple offset butterflies also often are ANSI. (Class 800#, which you mentioned is usually forged steel valves such as Vogt, Velan, Bonney Forge, etc.) 3 piece socket ball valves are also often built to ANSI...

WOG terminology is usually used on lower pressure and often commerical service valves... Milwaukee, Nibco, Hammond, etc. etc. These are usually on small bronze/brass/gate globe & check valves...

Resilient seated//Rubber butterflies are an exception... they are usually rated or classified as just a straight PSI...

Knife gates are typically another exception and are usually just straight PSI.

All in all, it's very confusing... there are good help documents, but no "Bible".

Thanks "reverman,
MSS SP-96-2001 (R 2005)

"Guidelines on Terminology for Valves and Fittings"

This Standard Practice lists and defines principle terms and acronyms widely used to describe general purpose valves and fittings. It is comprised of separate sections which contain: Acronyms for organizations whose documents are applicable to valves and fittings and a brief summary of the applicable area of interest; A glossary of terms used in valve and fittings specifications to describe design, operation, and performance characteristics. Abbreviations commonly used in the valve and fittings industry.

Cost $116.00 USD

For more general references (not only US abbreviations), maybe You'll find useful to take a look at thread408-242113 and thread408-206226 within this Forum.

Regards,
'NGL

WOG = Water oil & gas

ANSI 150# should read ASME Class 150 and is the flange rating per ASME B16.5. Reference to ANSi changed many many years ago but still appears in specifications and company literature. Reference to the standard does not necessarily mean the "valve" is rated to that pressure just the flange. It may only refer to the drilling. There are ASME , BS and EN standards that cover valves.

In respect of pressure rating check that the valve is bi directional. many valves e.g. knife gate are unidirectional when it comes to isolating a pressure.

"Sharing knowledge is the way to immortality"
His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back