Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need literature for earthquake structural design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

killi

Structural
Jan 9, 2007
NO
Earthquake design is now required in Norway where I live.

Can anyone recommend som basic books to get me started on the subject. Preferably metric. Preferably with good examples.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to get ahold of the Seismic Design Handbook by Farzad Naiem. Get the 2nd Edition. It is one of the most complete handbooks (with examples) I've seen on the market today.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

There is a Norwegian design code for the subject, but it will be phased out or adapted to the European codes soon.

Naiem's book seems comprehensive abd a good buy, but it covers the US codes, and I would like to buy a book that covers the euro ones. Also feet, inches and pounds give me a hard time.

Are the US and euro codes pretty much the same?

There is a big difference between US and EUro codes! You can try with Designers' Guide to EN 1998-1 and 1998-5. Eurocode 8: Design Provisions for Earthquake Resistant Structures (Thomas Telford). Be careful...there are a lot of tricky principles and application rules!

Drile007

Found a review of Telfords book.

Seems like a heavy read, though comprehensive. Furthermore it needs to be read in conjunction with the code - Which I don't have yet.

Anything simpler? Maybe a publication from an engineers society or something? The Norwegian society published a leaflet, but it doesn't give good answers or even a worked example. The most common software in use here is inadequate or hopelessly expensive for a small consulting company.

Simpler? I'm using EC8 for quite a long time and I didn't find any simpler literature or even worked examples (except timber structures), since Eurocedes are relatively new. Everything I have is from my lectures. What kind of structure you are dealing with; concrete, steel, timber, etc.?

Drile007

Oh good,

The review gave me the imprssion of it being rather hefty and suitable for advanced users who maybe want to bypass the codes. It costs USD 200 mail order, and I want to make sure it's suitable.

My projects involve steel, concrete and sometimes timber structures. Buildings on the whole - No bridges, dams etc.

I have this Guide and I don't recommend it to you if you are not familiar with earthquake engineering. You should be well acquainted with terms like ductility, mode shapes, spectrum, capacity design...
If you have a small problem I can guide you on your first steps.

Drile007

Thanks for your kind offer, drile007. I need to gather my thoughts and find some time before I can put a problem to you.

I am not familiar with earthquake engineering. I was hoping there might be a book to hold my hand through the basics and then give a few examples.

Some of our buildings are rather complicated, and the way ahead for us is really rather unclear. This in common with most other Norwegian consultants.

Do we buy software? It costs USD 40000 + maintenance. Don't even know if it will be useful. The salesman didn't answer very well.

Do we do calculations by hand? That must be just staggering for anything beyond four pillars and a slab.

How do we educate customers and architects? No more soft storeys? No more dramatic glass facades? Expensive bracing? Double our fees and design time?

Do we do calculations by hand? That must be just staggering for anything beyond four pillars and a slab.

How do we educate customers and architects? No more soft storeys? No more dramatic glass facades? Expensive bracing? Double our fees and design time?

Yes, that’s happening when you're starting to design earthquake resistant structures according to EC8:(((. Fortunately I'm used to have twice as much design time and almost the same fee:(((.

Again: be careful on ductility factor (q), design combinations (they are different than designing strictly to EC2, EC3, EC5), capacity design, foundation design, etc.

Drile007

The package is aprox NOK 200.000,- basic program, add-ons, maintenance etc. I only approached one Norwegian software supplier and the price is from memory and rough. The dollar being rather feeble right now gives a price a bit less than USD 40.000.

Furthermore I don't believe the software offered is adequate.

Killi, i am in UE and we have the same rules to seismic design even your NAD will be diferente from mine. Please email me and will help you with good free information about Seismic Engineering Design.
carlosvalinhas@hotmail.com

carlosvalinhas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back