Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Mapkey help: How to copy to clipboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silentnox

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2004
CA
What I want my mapkey to do is to copy the name of the part that I currently have activated. I have got it doing this by opening the rename function and copying and pasting out of that. However the copy and paste function actually puts the words into the macro not the copy and paste function so you end up having the same string as the first time you run the macro every time after that.

If you have any opinions or thoughts on this (maybe even a solution please let me know)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the 'relations' world, the variable 'rel_model_name' is the name of the current model. But I'm not sure how you can extract this into your paste buffer.

I use it to construct a part number parameter based on our file naming convention. This way when I copy a model to a new part, the part number parameter is always up to date and I don't carry forward an old part number by accident.

<tg>

I've often wished that mapkeys recorded actual actions rather than the literal information. In other words, if I type record the text, if I Copy - Paste, record Copy - Paste. Better yet, if it's changeable info, ask me how it should be recorded.

I think you may have to resort to a batch file to get what you want. II have a series of mapkeys and batch files to append the revision to exported IGES, STEP, PDF, etc files. I export to a folder then run a batch file that finds the file name through a directory listing. Cumbersome, but it works.

I'd love to know if you find anything better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back