Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

need new design Tip for motor control application 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

THeise

Industrial
Jul 26, 1999
DE
I´m a german design engineer and new on this Site. I need some hints and trends in designing controlling hardware for frequency inverters (3 Phase 400VAC) . My Boss demands a lowest cost solution. On the semiconductor market there are a lot of integrated components, like optocoupled Drivers or deadtime generators, which take over partially functions for motor control application, but those are expensive. The other choice is a cheaper discrete design of these functions. Ttherefore I have following question: Can you give further advantages or disadvantages to use these components.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're in the design phase, have enough time and have a good background on power electronics design, I would suggest going for discrete design and implementation. This will give you enough flexibility to create an optimum design.<br>
<br>
Otherwise, you've to do a survey of controller components available in the market, and do the design taking the manufacturer's guidelines also into account. This may take a lesser time.<br>
<br>
Also, a lot depends on if it is going to be a product or for a specific use only.

The use of a microcontroller can drastically reduce the parts count and cost of your design. Through a sine look-up table you can generate the needed PWM signals can can then be use to drive your power components,whether tyristors or power MOSFETs. If you can be more specific may be I can be of further assistance.<br>
Good luck !

Have some experiences with invertors, specifically 50kVA static invertors for seam welder application (aerosol cans and stuff).<br>
Dedicated 3-phase PWM ic's are available from Siemens and<br>
GEC (MA828), these interface readily with any cpu or microcontroller with minimal software overhead. Also IGBT stacks are available from Semikron which have built-in drivers and firing control circuitry.<br>
Certainly, you could do all of this yourself; but unless you intend selling several hundred units, the development time versus performance enhancement is hard to justify. Also, chances are that you would not significantly improve on the performance of the "dedicated" option. You could implement your own PWM generator quite easily for instance, but at 20kHz this requires significant cpu time - even for an 80552. <br>
My suggestion therefore, go the dedicated route - there'll be enough other problems to keep you occupied. <br>
<br>
Hope this helps<br>
Russell Fowler<br>
Cape Town, South Africa<br>
<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back