Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need Old WWM Properties 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxa

Structural
Nov 16, 2005
US
I am working on a project that the record plans show "316-28 WWM" for a 6" thick slab reinforcement. I assume it is probably a stainless steel wire mesh. Does anybody know how I could get the design info for it?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll throw in for SS, single wire, triangular mesh weighing 28 lb/ 100 sf per page four of this. Record my confidence level as 55%. What's the date on the drawings?

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Thanks. I actually visited that website and looked at the table for that period (1901-1910') but missed the weight column. I don't have the entire drawing. Only in bits and pieces. I figure the building must be about 90+/- years so what you referenced would make sense. Thanks again.

I first thought 316 = Stainless Steel, but your era is all wrong for that and now believe my thought was an anachronism.

I vote for 316 being a mislead for our modern mind, and not anything "particular" in a building of this age. The 316 has something to do with physical dimensions and properties, not a type of steel.

I agree with CELinOttawa - austentic 316 SS was not developed until about 1912 (the Germans and Brits claim joint fame).

Also, American Steel and Wire Co. catalog of early 1900 has the 316-28 as a noted Wire Wire Fabric STYLE, as follows:

316-28_xbawrw.png

Let me see if I can dig up the STYLE details from my reference and post details here.

Nicely done Ingenuity. OP will get much more capacity out of that. I'd love to know what 316 actually means in this context, if indeed it has a physical meaning.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

So digging 'deeper':

1. "316" is longitudinal wires at 3" c/c, transverse wires at 16" c/c.​

2. "28" is #2 gauge wire longitudinal, and #8 gauge wire transverse.​

So total it all together and you get: "316-28" = #2 gauge longitudinal wires at 3" c/c, #8 gauge transverse wires at 16" c/c.

For reference: #2 gauge is 0.2625" dia. and #8 gauge is 0.1620" dia.

OLD_WWR_-_AMERICAN_STEEL_AND_WIRE_CO_jiigsn.png

REF: American Welded Wire Fabric by American Steel and Wire Co.

Thank you Ingenuity. This really makes sense now because, according to the plans, the 6" thick floor (one way slab) was designed for 200 psf of LL.

kxa,

You are welcome.

Curious - for your project framing (located in NY I assume), was the WWR profiled/draped over the spans to act as both TOP and BTM one-way slab reinforcing?

Profiled/draped like this?

WWR_SLAB_bccscw.png

Interesting equations in the same reference:

CaptureXXX_k6adby.png

Assuming 8' spans, 3" average to depth of steel, with stone/gravel concrete, this equation gives you a 303 psf TOTAL load capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back