Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need OS X version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

randymce

Electrical
Oct 18, 2003
CA
I am in need of Electrical Simulation with interactive GUI (like ORCAD) and mechanical Finite element analysis for mechanical stressing and thermal stress modeling software. Again usability is critical ie. no command line UI and real time interactivity a must.

I am looking forward to your replieds as I am in desperate need of this kind of software that will run under OS X.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may be waiting a long time...

There isn't much (any?) engineering software written for Apple computers since they represent significantly less than 10% of the overall PC market. Most engineers use Windows-based machines, so most software is written for that platform.

Given the current hardware and software costs, you would probably be better off buying a "cheap" PC and running Windows-based software.

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 by [blue]VPL[/blue] for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks for the reply. That is certainly a valid consideration, however, there are many UNIX GUI engineering apps that I am sure could be comiled for OS X.

I'm not unsympathetic, but I think you have to be a realist. There's more to porting code than recompiling it - even if it's FORTRAN 90. And engineering code written in some variant of C will have a good bit of machine-dependent (read: processor dependent) code; it's not just a Unix thing. Particularly the GUI part -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 by [blue]VPL[/blue] for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

That's a good point. It's much faster to buy an inexpensive and fast PC. Keep it off the networkbecause of worms/ viruses, and just dedicate it for Engineering software duty only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back