Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need package TYPE design firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGyverS2000

Electrical
Dec 22, 2003
US
I tried posting this in the Packaging forum, but the last reply in there was a month ago, so I'll try in here...

Tough to get my exact question in the subject line, but I'm looking for a company that will help me with the type of packaging to put my product in, not the design work on the blister pack.

To be exact, I'm looking for someone who can help me with what electrical connectors to use between various components, what materials can be used to enclose various pieces, etc.

A control unit will reside in a friendly environment, but other pieces are not so lucky. The other pieces will need to be watertight (or at the very least waterproof), so I'm looking for inexpensive connection options that will provide that. I have some ideas on how to enclose the entire piece based upon what other manufacturers do, but I'm willing to look at alternatives. This is for automotive purposes, so low voltage (12V) but not so low currents (2A+).

If anyone can suggest some firms to speak with, particularly any in the South Florida region, I would appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We do lots of plastic part design for enclosures, etc. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. Check the web site to get some additional general ideas and see if this would be of use. We're in the Phoenix area, so we're nowhere near S. Florida.

You may consider posting in the SolidWorks forum, if that's not of use.

Good luck.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

Jeff,

Thanks for the info...expect an email in the coming days.

If anyone else has some useful info, I'm all ears. I'll try to give you a better idea on what I'm planning.

The current control unit is roughly 1.5" x 3" x 1". The PCB dimensions were chosen merely to fit a common/inexpensive ABS plastic case, but that should give you an idea of the basic size. In quantities of 250+, a similar case (with a couple of basic cutouts on the side) with single color silkscreen was quoted at $2.55/case. I'm interested in what it would cost to custom design a basic-frills case...I think I could get away from silkscreening if I can mold a legend directly into the case.

I'm also interested in a flexible casing of some sort for a long strip of LEDs. I originally planned to put the strip into a clear vinyl tube (about 3/8" ID), but I've recently come across another product with a potential idea. This product uses a clear, flexible rubber shaft about 6" long and 1/4" to 3/8" long, flexible enough that it can bend over upon itself without breaking. Does anyone know the material used, and if so, any idea if it can be used to encase LEDs? I worry if it's an extremely hot substance when liquid if it would roast the LEDs during manufacture, or if it's cool enough to inject into a mold holding the LED strip.

Any info you all can provide not only on possible materials used, but also on the processes used with them, would be much appreciated.

Molding the cases will require some mold tooling, so it won't be profitable unless you have some decent quantities (probably 10,000 or more, maybe less). However, once you have the mold, each clam shell will be near $.10 each, plus any molded sealing you may need for water resistance. The mold house can do the silk screening if you like, or mold the diagram into the shells.

The LED stripping is an interesting problem. You need to be careful with vinyls, as they don't like prolonged exposure to heat or UV rays very well (not that the LEDs put out much heat--depends how much you're pushing them). This will depend on what you've really got in your hand. You might check a materials web site to get some additional information--could be a number of things (silicone, vinyl, urethane, etc.) formed in a number of ways (extruded, molded, etc).

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

You might try looking at a membrane switch manufacturer. We use several that encase (surface mount) LED's as part of the switch. For the housing you might try a company like Protomold at least for relatively small volumes. They use aluminum tooling and can get parts to you quite quickly. A couple of links that could serve as a starting point.

Good luck and regards,

MacGyverS2000,

In reference to your packaging problem consider a silicone gel encapsulant. This is self sealing and will voidfill your cavity and handle the electrical current. Feel free to send an e-mail to me at psheres@rapidmold.com and I will give you more information as to simular applications that this type of product is currently being used.

Depending on the material you want your case made of, I can probably help with lowering production cost of the case. You can contact me at danny.morris@raminc-cisco.com

Connextions is a corporate contract packager specializing in the wholesale and retail markets. Our high-speed packaging technology, procurement expertise, real-time inventory access and complex hand assembly capabilities allow you to bring your products to market more quickly and more efficiently.

For More Information Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back