Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED PLASTIC GEAR DESIGN BOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

june

Automotive
May 17, 2002
US
I am looking for a comprehensive book for designing plastic gears. The only book I have found is Plastics Gearing by C.E. Adams. It is good, but may be outdated considering it was published in 1986. I appreciate any suggestions.

June

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This may not help, but I remember stumbling into a web site that does exactly that, with tips and considerations. I think you'll find it by searching for "gear design", ar maybe add "plastic" or your specific material. There may even be a "design wizard" - you enter parameters and get the product design.

I have some very old Raw Materials Supplier technical data that includes gear design, for at least Acetal, probably also Nylon and Polyester.

If you are stuck I could find it and scan copies.

I am sure that they have been ouit of print for many years

Regards
pat

june,

Check-out the Society of Plastic Engineers website.
They have some very good books there.
I wish that I could remmeber which book it was that we referenced when I worked at Glenn Beall Engineering.
It came in very useful when I had to build a mold for a helical gear. But I am fairly certain that SPE sells the book. We were made aware of the book from a metal gear manufacturer.

Their website:

I would also suggest contacting AGMA (American Gear Manufacturing Association - or something like that). Search them on the web and they should be able to help you.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back