Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need properties of SS420 and 304SST ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksarita

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2005
US
hi ,
Can any one give me the values of youngs modulus and tensile properties of SS420 ans 304SST.
What is the major difference between them. What does SST stand for.
Please help me. i despiratly need this information.

Thanks
Sarita

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use 29,000,000psi for the young's modulus for both. maybe a little lower for the 304. Tensile properties vary widely for these two stainless steels depending on condition.

hi NickE,
Thanks for the information. so when i do structural analysis using this value. then how can the stress vary between them. so is the density different for both of them.
Actually i am doing a structural analysis using pro/e. so while defining the material, its asks for the density, thermal conductivity and the youngs modulus.
So can u give me further details regarding this.
And what can be a good source where i can find all such kind of details regarding metals.
PLease help me out.
Thanks
Sarita

420 is a martensitic stainless. Roughly 14% Cr with no Ni or Mo. It is hardenable by heat treatment, magnetic, and has limited corrosion resistance. The mechanical properties are a function of the heat treatment.
The room temp modulus is 30 million psi,
coef of thermal exp at room temp is 5.7 ppm/F,
the density is 0.276#/cuin,
and a thermal cond of 13.5 BTU/hr-ft-F.

304 is an austenitic stainless, roughly 18% Cr and 8% Ni. When annealed it is non-magnetic, very ductile and not very strong. This alloy can only be strengthened by cold working.
E rt = 28 million psi
CTE rt = 9.6 ppm/F
density = 0.287#/cuin
therm cond rt = 9.4 BTU/ft-hr-F

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back