Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need sample working drawings for 3d madelling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbyod

Industrial
May 11, 2010
US
Hi all,
Im trying to brush up on my parametric CAD skills, something i havent done much of since college, and im looking for samples of working drawings which i can attempt to make a 3d model of.

Im using T-Flex (not willing to pay for Pro-E or Solid works) which has some good tutorials but nothing i can really work with.

If anyone has some links to useful websites or working drawings of your own which you would like to share that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Note that these were taken from my Freshman year's Drafting textbook. And since in those days they were attempting to teach students how to create 2D drawings you couldn't give them examples showing 3 or 4 Orthographic projected views. After all, that was the deliverable that the student was expected to produce, therefore you had to provide illustrations, such as these, from which the student had to learn how to then represent the model as 3 or 4 2D Orthographic projections with perhaps a couple of section views thrown in for good measure. Now some 40+ years later, while the deliverable may be different, the types of material suitable as a starting point really has not had any need to change.

That being said, look around for some of those old text books. If you don't go back that far yourself, ask some of your older fellow employees or even your parents or other family members, or as I first suggested, go visit that local used book store. BTW, the older the textbook the better the illustrations I think, if nothing else they're often more interesting. Again, as I mentioned before, one of the guys I work with has a Drafting textbook from the 30's and these illustrations could be framed and hung up as 'art'.

Anyway, glad I could help.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Now that's what I was talking about and starting on about page 186 there are several examples which might work for anyone looking for ideas to practice on.

However, the book does give away it age a bit when you check out what's on page 42. I suspect that you would never see anything like that in any Drafting textbook published in the last 70 years.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

However, the book does give away it age a bit when you check out what's on page 42. I suspect that you would never see anything like that in any Drafting textbook published in the last 70 years.

geez... I have to agree. I didn't scroll through it that thoroughly on the first go through. I should have looked for a book dated after 1944 I guess.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Anna,
I couldn't agree more. Beautiful works of art. Check out the link and page 42 and you will see why I referenced 1944.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Fig. E-21.11 No clearance between Shaft-Steel and Valve Housing.
No clearance between Valve-Steel and Valve Housing. And I haven’t even started to 3D model to find what other problems there might be. Pretty art doesn’t make it work. But there is no reason why modern 3D modeling cannot also be artful.

Those illustrations were created before anyone attempted to fully document a part's design (those images were taken from a 40+ year old textbook), including manufacturing tolerances, from an isometric view (of course today we have PMI so that would now be a moot point). Those illustrations were used a part of a 'Drawing' assignment with the assumption that only nominal dimensions were being shown. I would expect that the application of appropriate tolerances would have been part of the assignment given to the 'student'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Have been through this search myself

There's IVWC (Inventor World Cup) which is PDF's of mech drawings of different objects. Click on the "IVNGWC (dated).zip" files. You can also dig through the contest results and see how fast some people can build things. This is good exercise because you can build the model then make a drawing from it with the original to compare.

then there's Trace Parts which is a huge database of cad drawings of manufactured parts. You have to register (free) and do some digging to find parts worth drawing but it's a large resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back