Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need some advice on becoming an electrical power systems designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

betweencareers

Electrical
Jan 18, 2012
US
Hello everyone. I am looking for some good advice. Allow me to explain the situation: I have a B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, but really mostly microelectronics. Since receiving the degree (2004), I have worked in construction management. Basically, this means implementing the designs of various trades, including electrical. I’ve met with electrical designers, and reviewed electrical submittals, shop drawings, and as-built drawings. I would like to switch careers and become an electrical designer. So my questions are as follows:

1. Can anyone recommend a good book that will teach me all I need to know about this field?
2. Is a book enough, or should I look into taking Power Systems courses?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you speaking commercial/industrial design or something like utility power distribution? They are different. I google your question and found the following:

sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=electrical+des&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS396US396&q=electrical+design+engineer&gs_upl=0l0l0l18532lllllllllll0&aqi=g4

Wareagle,

Either/or would be fine with me. Most of my construction background involves buildings, streets, etc. So what I've dealt with in the past are generators, light poles, conduits, cables, and then on to smaller materials inside the building such as switchboards, lighting fixtures, receptacles, wiring, conduits, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back