Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need some battery connection suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmoked

Electrical
Feb 18, 2005
US
I have to connect sixteen 2AWG cables probably with lugs with 5/16" or 3/8" holes unless someone has a lugless solution.

These batteries have odd terminals that are 0.560" in diameter and about 2" long.

I need a 200Amp connection between the cable and the battery terminal.

Some sort of split tube?
Some sort of split bars with a a trench in their faces?
Slit block with a hole thru the center?

Keith Cress
kcress -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You would need to maintain equivalent cross sectional area, so I could imagine some sort of vertical busbar that terminates into a vertically extended conventional battery terminal clamp.
It would need to be mechanically supported, since 16 2AWG cables would put a lot of torque on the battery terminals.

Is this instantaneous 200A load or steady state? On each cable or total?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Not sure I completely understand what you mean, but if you have batteries that have a .560"diam x 2" post then maybe you could drill out a JIS pencil post terminal clamp to .560".

John!! That may be the ticket.

JIS_post_oldk8s.jpg

That's 0.504" and 0.571": negative, positive respectively. My posts aren't tapered so I'd definitely need to drill them out. Drilling lead or zinc, Oh boy!

Except you can't seem to buy any terminal clamps for JIS in the US.
6bm5afp.gif

Not following you IR.

200A continuous.

20220213_135928_surogp.jpg

Keith Cress
kcress -

Ummmm...tiki.. I see nothing that comes close to my connection problem.

I've decided to go with a standard 8AWG-250MCM mechanical lug used backwards bolting the cables with standard swaged lugs to the mechanical lug. The hole the setscew normally clamps to the cable will be what I clamp to the battery terminals.

20220216_204014_1_leptjo.jpg

Keith Cress
kcress -

There are other battery connect disconnect systems, such as those use on aircraft. For those to work, you would need a battery set up with that type of connector. This might be worth it if you expect to regularly disconnect and reconnect the battery. They are designed for it.

See ->
My posts reflect my personal views and are not in any way endorsed or approved by any organization I'm professionally affiliated with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back