Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need source for coolant hose elbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

okeng

Mechanical
Jun 14, 2003
US
I design various kinds of engine-powered machinery, and one component I've been searching for is coolant hose elbows. What I'd like to find is someplace that has a catalog of standard 90 degree and 45 degree formed rubber elbows. The sizes we usually deal with are 1.50 through 3".

What we usually wind up doing is wandering somewhat blindly through the Dayco or Gates radiator hose catalog, picking out 5 or 6 formed hoses that look close to what we need, ordering them, and picking the closest one that can be cut into what we need. Needless to say, this doesn't lend itself to production after we are finished with the prototypes, nor does it appear very professional to our clients. I didn't appreciate how simple life was when I was designing machinery that sold enough volume that we could just send a drawing to Gates and live with the tooling costs.

I've about Googled myself to death on this and gotten nowhere. Anybody got a good source?

Thanks,

Jess

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was watching one of the automotive shows on either Spike TV or the Speed Channel that featured a new product to address this situation. It was a stiff outer spring to slip over straight hose, that would retain it's shape after it was bent, making it very simple to create custom elbows for coolant hose. Apparently this has been a problem for hot-rodders & engine swappers for years.

Russell Giuliano

Tomwalz, Good idea--I thought they just made air intake elbows. I've emailed them to ask about coolant stuff.

Diskullman, I've seen those at my local parts store, but they only make them for pretty small hose, like heater hoses. They are really slick, and I'm hoping to find a place to use them soon.

Thanks,

Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back