Need Suggestion for material for a medical tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papanaoum M.

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2016
GR
Hello,
I want to 3D print a medical tool and I would like to ask your opinion for the suitable material. I want it to be strong because it is thin and carries a lot of pressure. Also, I want it to can sterilized multiple times.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for your response, I will consider your suggestion. Do you think Peek is a good option too?
I am asking about a laryngoscope that inserts in patient's mouth. So, I was thinking of something more flexible in order not to harm epiglottis which is very sensitive.
It is something like the image I attached.
2144-KV031_cqxljk.jpg

Autoclave sterilization degrades the physical properties of almost all polymers. PEEK is supposedly more stable, but still has degradation. Your user might wind up with a broken blade stuck in someone's throat because they exceeded the autoclave half-life.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529

Thank you very much. Your observation is very useful. Although, this medical tool does not sterilize in an autoclace but with chemicals suvh as CIDEX or glutaraldehyde. Do you think that this could degrade peek' s properties? If yes, have you any other idea for a more suitable material?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back