Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need Tips on Evaluation of Soil Slope Stability Softwares 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

georam

Geotechnical
Apr 28, 1999
CA
I need some critical input/evaluation/feedback about each of the following soil slope stability software, preferable comparison among the software, advantages/disadvantages etc.

- SlopeW (Geoslope)
- GSlope (Mitre software)
- Slide (Rocscience)

Another one is perhaps UTEXAS3 ?

Currently I am using XSTABL... but thinking about getting a more user friendly one.

Thanks for your help/tips.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used both Slope/W and GSlope. Both are good progams but are quite different. I find GSLope easier in the sense everything is accessed from one window and you do not have to change modules to calculate, view results, etc. However, GSlope is less powerful than Slope/W and is limited to more simplistic methods of analyses (i.e. Bishop's Modified and Janbu). It really depends whether you want simple (GSlope) or more advanced (Slope/W). Hope that helps.

Just to follow up to what I was looking for. I found a comprehensive report conducted by Virginia Polytech Institute, titled "Comparison of computer programs for analysis of reinforced slopes" by M. Pockoski and J. Michael Duncan, Dec 2000. The report is applicable for both reinforced and unreinforced slopes. Softwares which were evaluated included UTEXAS4, SLOPE/W, SLIDE, XSTABL,WINSTABL,RSS, SNAIL and Goldnail.

Document can be viewed at

I personally like Gslope. I use a DOS version (it is what our company had "left over". But, it works and does most of what I need. It is simple and easy to use. It is unfortunate that the comparison of methods quoted in georam's message didn't compare Gslope to the other methods.

I personally use LARIX by CUBUS from switzerland. The program runs in dos enviroment but have operation options from windows. It uses many methods and has good output documents.

Just to throw in my two cents, I purchased GSlope about a year and a half ago and I love it. Modeling soil slopes and various retaining wall applications (with geogrid or tiebacks) is very easy and intuitive. You can download a full trial version and see for yourself. Hint: there are some data entry procedures to follow, so download the users manual, too.

is the website

georam's program comparison link is a good one. In general, it shows that there are not significant differences between the safety factors calculated by the various programs, especially considering the conservatively rounded-down soil properties many engineers use.

If you do not do a lot of real sophisticated slope stability analyses, consider the Caltrans Snail program. It's FREE!

Georam,

Simple question, not straight forward answer. There is plenty of software out there. It seems though that SlopeW V.5 is the winning racing car of these days in slope stability analysis. It is the F3 ultimate tool in SS! I leave out F1 since it is nowdays filled in with FE programs (3D versions etc.). There are some disadvantages with SlopeW; you cannot incorporate that easily structural elements and there is a void for stiffness based solutions.

It is not yet a FE but for limit equilibrium analysis the output version and the setup of the problem is user friendly, dynamic and helpful. With all its limitations it is a good tool for 90% of slope stability problems. It is used internationally from experts with good feedabck and the service from the suppliers is not that bad. I hope you do not trouble yourself that much with which one to buy but how to use it! Goodluck with your purchase.
Orfilos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back