Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need To coat an electronic control card against H2S

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcazar

Electrical
Jan 29, 2007
VE
Hello everyone, i need URGENT HELP with finding a way (a product or a company) that can protect an electronic card (its the controller card from a rectefier control module)against corrosive agents, especifically against H2S (hydrogen sulfide). What i know is that Epoxy is used to do this. I really hope someone can help out with these, i need to find the fastest way to treat this cards in order to put them to work in an area that may or may not contain some level of H2S gas (although i know that this gas cant be present in a place where humans work, because in a concentration as low as 100 ppm leads to eye damage and 320 leads to pulmonary edema with the possibility of death).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Conformal coating immidiatly comes into mind when discussiong that H2S issue, but I could not find any information really stating that conformal coating will protect a board from that. Neither on the Humiseal Website nor at
I'm currently working on the same issue, so any detailed information is welcome. Currently my approach is different.

I have no direct knowledge on the H[sub]2[/sub]S abilities with Humiseal, but anything that reduces contact with airborn molecules has to help reduce the problem.

It should be noted that there may be some heat dissipation issues if you coat hot or heatsinked parts with anything.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

If you know epoxy will do the job then use epoxy. However, my co-workers used to coat the board in a softer coating first before using the epoxy because the epoxy coat could damage the board when it set (by mechanical stress?)

You could google on "potting compound" rather than conformal coating. Typcially you get a small plastic box (without a lid). Put the board inside the box and pour in the potting compound. This holds the potting compound so you get a defined shape and no drips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back