Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to connect a motion detector to a pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBERTDION

Computer
Aug 23, 2006
CA
I want to know how to connect a motion detector to a pc ?
Someone told me it can be done by welding wires on a serial 1 or rs232 port but i don't know witch pin to take. So if someone have an idea it will be nice :)

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Google is your friend...

Try looking for "computer interface RS232 hardware" and you should find a ton of schematics out there. I hope you can read a schematic, solder, and program...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

the thing is that i am starting , but everyone has to start somewhere :). I want to know if i need special thing to do that or i just have to get wires and the plug for the port

It's easy to blow the comm port on your computer if you don't know what you're doing, so I suggest using either a port extender or a junk computer.

Regardless, it sounds like you don't have nearly enough knowledge to attempt such a project yet. Where do you connect to the motion detector's circuit? Is it an analog or digital signal? What kind of circuitry do you need between the PC and detector? What does the info mean to the computer? What do you do with that info?

A ton of questions you need to answer before working on such a project. You need to work on individual projects that are stand-alone... a computer program, some circuitry, comm interfaces, etc.... before trying to do it all at once.

Dan - Owner

yeah you're right ! but there is some software, books or anything that can help me to learn that. Because the only things that i have to learn is that. I did my college in software programming and i'm working for more than 5 year in that domain

Just about every PC net-cam on the market today includes an app that does motion sensing... it starts recording video when motion in the video passes a user settable threshold.

If you received a degree in computer programming/engineering, I would assume you're intelligent enough to use Google for the basics. this site is intended for practicing engineers, but we're always willing to help if less-than-knowledgable people get in a jam. It seems like you have a lot of research to do before you're at the helpable point.

Spend some time on Google, and good luck!

Dan - Owner

at least one of my motherboards has a 'Wake on Ring' and 'Wake on Lan' connectors. Signalling on either will result in prescribed OS activity. My board manual indicates that the 'Wake on Ring' is ported through a Comm port for external modems.

If you have these features, you should be on your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back