Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to find two materials to develop a simple skin model for bench tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naveen93

Bioengineer
May 11, 2015
US
I want to find two materials to integrate into a skin model as different layers. The first material must mimic the stratum corneum of the skin to the extent that it is between 10-40 micrometers in thickness and matches the impedance/general electrical properties of the human stratum corneum. The second material must mimic the dermis of the skin to the extent that we want it to be at least 5 millimeters in thickness, and for the purpose of our experiment, we need to be able to hydrate this layer from 60 to 100% water content in a controlled manner.

For the first layer, I have acquired a thin plastic film from a manufacturer that specifically designed it to mimic the thickness and topological properties of the stratum corneum. Unfortunately, they haven't specified the dimensions so I'm not 100% sure that the thickness is what we want. Additionally, they have no posted information about the electrical properties. What would be an easy way to measure the thickness and impedance of this thin film in the lab?

For the second layer, I was thinking of using a hydrogel. I'm not sure what hydrogel, I just feel that theoretically it might work because we can try to control the crosslinking density to control how much water the gel can possibly hold. Is this correct? If so, I'd appreciate some help on finding specific hydrogels/materials I can use. Basically, I'd want to make 5 gels that are each the same exact size (5 mm thick), with the difference between each gel being the amount of water inside it (60%,70%,80%,90%,100%).

So this is what I've been tasked with and some of the ideas I had. I'd appreciate whatever help anyone can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back