Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to get out of the comfort zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHALLENGERSRT

Student
Jan 12, 2024
US
I am quiting my current job which is just a cook at a restaurant because i am tired of always being disrespected. Also i feel if i continue working there i'm wasting time...for $10/hr. I don't know if my boss will give me my last check but i will call and tell them to mail. It went from "i don't like this job but it's not terrible" to " Feeling pain the hours before i have to go in. Anyways, with that being said. I know this is a engineering and i'm just having some things really bumming me out. I would go to another restraunt while i'm in school. But just not the one i used to work for... Most of my restraunt jobs where really chill. This was not one of them. AutoCAD program in TCAT has me on a e learning course however i feel like i just want to advance my career. I will even work at another restraunt while in school but i don't know if that would be good for trying to find a internship.

Are there any tips on going to businesses and not stopping until i find a job. I live at my moms house. (21M) Never been to college. TCAT is my only upper education. I got this program called Cengage i am instructed to get and like 75% of the course material requires it. It's expensive..like $250. Anyways my plan was to apply for aids,grants,internships. I just hope to find something.

My Skills are AutoCAD, Revit(still learning), Blender. I started out trying to model cars.
I just want to advance forward from where i am today. I hope that makes sense

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After reading your other post and this one, it sounds like you are setting way too high expectations for yourself. It seems as if you are expecting to gain years worth of experience in just a few months, and expect your pay to be unrealistically high for still being in school.

You live at home, so you should have minimal expenses (unless your mom isn't really providing, in which case you might be better off trying to find roommates in an apartment), which a minimum wage job should cover.

Edit to above: don't expect to have much money during school. Investing in yourself now will help you out in the future. I worked full time during my undergrad to afford it, and it wasn't easy. But present me doesn't regret a thing since I am loan free straight out the gate.

I do feel your pain ... my son has tried uni and college but has just a High School diploma to show for it. He's done the cook thing for many years, then warehousing. Now he's looking at Electrical apprentice, and he seems genuinely interested/motivated. I guess we all have a trail to walk though life. And then there's my daughter ... a Master of Philosophy ... stocking supermarket shelves. sigh

Sorry, but the same thing everyone'll tell you ... find something that interests you (or at least doesn't drive you to depression) and follow it.
And the other motherhood ... find a good group of friends, people who'll support you when the demons come.

Good Luck

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back