Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to make control circuit diagrams for troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselvette

Electrical
Oct 6, 2006
US
I currently am building the self-contained control system for a relatively simple machine which we build from the ground up.

I am wondering if there are any good programs out there which allow me to draw a wiring diagram quickly and easily. I would prefer the diagram to be laid out as "picture", showing each component & its terminals, with wires running from component to component. (Similar to what you see in factory service manuals for automotive/machinery/etc.) The diagram would be used primarily for troubleshooting, and for record-keeping purposes as each machine is different.

It would be easy to make a ladder diagram, but I have yet to talk to a service/maintenance technician who is willing to decipher it.

It would really be cool if the program was able to convert such a diagram to ladder logic or something, or have some kind of "simulation" mode. I am doing control wiring here, not discrete electronics, so maybe that's a little out of reach.

Just something where you are drawing more than just a picture. Then components can be moved around on the drawing board without having to re-draw everything.

I've tried Microsoft Visio (ick!) and we have AutoCAD, which both work OK, but I would like to draw more than just a picture sometimes.

Nic Van Engen
Electrical Technician

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll check on this and post back, my enineer will know. I can't think of any better way than ladder for a technician to grasp and fix anything. The large oafish ones I mean.

For fairly simple circuits, the pictorial diagrams are as good as any.
For more complicated circuits the diagram of choice is the schematic, or ladder diagram.
I occasionally use pictorial wiring diagrams to find the actual physical location of the parts and the wire routing.
As a circuit increases in complexity, the pictorial type of diagram becomes more and more difficult to analyze.
Most professionals are comfortable with ladder diagrams.
Those who prefer pictures may be more comfortable with pictorial diagrams.
respectfully

As simple as this machine we're building is, I think a pictorial is sufficient. The technicians we work with, when troubleshooting, are usually not electricians but are just building maintenance personnel. They need pictures.

Nic Van Engen
Electrical Technician

(Continued from above)
...This is why I need to draw a pictorial diagram, preferrably using a program which is specifically for electrical diagrams, so that conductors are conductors, switches are switches, and components are components; rather than just a bunch of lines and pixels that look like electrical stuff. I believe this would make editing/modifying much easier.

The picture-making software which is available does not cater to electrical diagrams.

Nic Van Engen
Electrical Technician

I know what you mean about Visio but I was just looking at an "engineering template" for the program that looks much better than what my older version has. Maybe an upgrade...
It was on the microsoft site and may have a free time trial. Good luck.

I use a software package from eplan, it uses intelligent symbols to keep track of part numbers, wires in cables, cross referance contacts, and will generate reports (parts lists) based of the information you assign the symbols. There are a few programs that are like eplan, and most are set up for ladder diagrams but can be made to do what ever is needed with littel effort. The BIG question is how much do you want to spend?

Electrical Guy

yeah - sounds like a great program, but how much do we want to spend is a great question. Sounds expensive, but is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the info,
nic

Nic Van Engen
Electrical Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back